This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

I have always loved magic. While casting spells through magic wands can be fun, there’s something interesting about less obvious magic. Here are three series that have interesting and unusual worlds of magic.

1. The Circle of Magic series by Tamora Pierce.

The magic in this book is some of my absolute favorite magic because it’s worked through sewing, blacksmithing, and even through gardening. I love how ordinary things that are often overlooked and underappreciated become magical and powerful in this series.

2. The Demon’s Lexicon series by Sarah Rees Brennan

Magic actually isn’t the focus of this series, but it is a constant annoyance for the main characters. The Magicians in these books aren’t actually the good guys because Magicians have to summon demons and kill innocent people in order to gain power. This series is set in England, but unlike in Harry Potter, magic isn’t as wonderful as we all hoped it would be.

3. The Raven Cycle

So it’s hard to talk about the magic in this series, but let me just say that there is dream magic and it is pretty freaking cool. There’s also hunting for a long dead ancient Welsh king who will grant a wish to whoever finds him and psychics who are surprisingly legit.

My favorite thing about all three of these series is the fond families and sibling relationships within. Not all families have to be related, and sometimes the family you choose is all you have, and I love seeing the characters figuring each other out and growing closer.