Spice up Your Life—Redecorate Your Dorm Room!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Photo Source: observando.net

You should love your room – it’s your home away from home, your space to express yourself. So if you’re not thrilled with your dorm room, something’s wrong. After all, we’re finishing up our fourth week of spring semester—don’t you deserve a decked-out dorm room? Here are some tips to help you redecorate and love your room!

1. Rearrange the furniture

When I say rearrange, I mean completely move everything: swap your your desk with your dresser, face your bed in the opposite direction. Make the most of your space by playing with a few different ideas.

Note to self: must ask roommate before relocating her bed into the hallway…

2. Play up the walls

Plain white walls are way too boring. Order posters online, tape up a piece of artwork, hang pictures from the holidays. Do something—anything to liven the room. And remember: brighter colors will make the room feel bigger.

3. Organize

Throw out or donate anything you didn’t use the first semester. Cleaning out your room will give you more space to store the important things. And trust me: nothing will make you feel more rejuvenated than getting rid of your junk.

4. Clothing swap

After agreeing to return things before the end of the semester, organize a clothing swap with girls who live on your floor. You’ll each gain a new wardrobe with the reassurance that all your clothes are right down the hall! Plus, the splash of new colors will refresh your room.

5. Invest

Though some items seem extraneous at first, there are certain things that are just plain worth a splurge. Buy string lights to brighten up your room (CMU dorms are notorious for poor lighting, after all). Hang a dry erase board on your door to receive messages from friends. Invest in colored chalk to draw with on your walls—don’t worry, it’s easily washable. These simple and cheap things will make all the difference as you improve your room!

Now you have one thing left to do: get moving! Take a Saturday off from homework and redecorate your room instead—you won’t believe how much having a lively room can help make you love school. Even homework.

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Lauren Mobertz studies Professional Writing and Hispanic Studies at Carnegie Mellon University, and will graduate in May 2012. To fuel her interest in urban studies, Lauren interned at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation in fall 2010. Since she received her passport, Lauren has not spent more than 7 consecutive months in the US. She spent spring 2011 in Santiago, Chile, translating documents for Educación 2020 and practicing her salsa; summer 2010 in Durban, South Africa, studying the social and economic impacts of the FIFA World Cup and volunteering for WhizzKids United; and spring break 2010 hosting art workshops in Siuna, Nicaragua. Somehow, she always manages to keep up with How I Met Your Mother and a little bit of running, no matter what city she's based in. Lauren hopes to settle down in the East Coast and enter education administration.