A Ray of Sunshine: Sonia Azad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Meet Sonia Azad, one of the sweetest babes on CMU campus. Tartan Cheerleader by day and Mathematics major and Computer Science minor by night, this girl does it all. On one hand, her unique nerdy-ness renders her a valuable contributor and member to the Math Club, for which she committed several hours booth-building during Spring Carnival of 2015. On the other hand, her true dancing spirit drove her to perform as a part of Dancer’s Symposium, astonishing audiences with her grace in movement.

On her free time, Sonia likes to eat jelly beans and chocolate kisses, as well as mentor first-year students in MCS. “I just enjoy doing math,” she says happily. “I like that you’re either right or wrong, and there’s no in between.” Math is such a big part of this math whiz’s life that she has gotten a tattoo: a math equation that, when drawn as a graph, translates into the shape of a heart.

Despite her love for math, Sonia also finds joy in being active, especially on the Carnegie Mellon Cheerleading Team. Her bravery is commendable as she takes up one of the most dangerous and challenging roles: the flyer. “Being tossed around can be scary sometimes,” Sonia admits, “but I know that my teammates will always be there to catch me if I fall.”

When asked about what is most important to her, Sonia replies with a laugh, “My friends, of course! I’d do anything for them!” And it’s completely true-one could not ask for more in a best friend. Sonia’s the kind of girl who would bring you flowers when you’re sick, and candy when you’re down. As an orientation counselor for the classes of 2018 and 2019, Sonia has and will continue to be a source of support for anxious freshmen taking their first steps into college.

I'm a student at Carnegie Mellon University, pursuing a Bachelor of Humanities and Fine Arts in Professional Writing and Fine Art, with a minor in Design.
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.