This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

While most of us are still recovering from walking in the frozen tundra that is Pittsburgh, there’s one event that’s giving me hope this week–New York Fashion Week Fall 2015! As undeniably one of the biggest weeks on the runway, it showcases the best, the boldest, and perhaps the craziest of fashion. From minimalist chic to football inspo (Tommy Hilfiger, anyone?), here are some of my favorite trends for the upcoming fall:

1. Blackout at Vera Wang

As a sucker for all-black outfits (and black as a color), I love the play with textures (sequins, fur, lace, some oversized pieces) from Wang’s collection that makes wearing black even more interesting. While some may say black is “boring,” it’s undeniably chic, minimalist, sophisticated, and looks good on virtually anyone.

2. Red and Bold Prints at Carolina Herrera

Although Herrera is often known for her ethereal dresses, her take on a bold red is an exciting twist for fall (and also one of my favorite colors!).

3.  Modern Cuts at Cushnie et Ochs

With simple shapes and geometric cut outs, the line from Cushnie et Ochs oozes sophistication and modernity.

4. More Black at Diesel Black Gold

Similarly to Vera Wang, the line from Diesel Black Gold kept to a minimalist palette (yay for more black!) and experimented with a variety of textures. However, Diesel Black Gold gave off a more edgier, rebellious vibe, as shown by the use of pointed shoes, studs, and tight silhouettes.

5. Preppy Chic at J.Crew

That’s right–one of your favorite (and more affordable) brands also rocked the runway at NYFW 2015! With preppy details, bold colors, lady-like silhouettes, and wearable pieces, J.Crew did not disappoint.

6. Mixed Prints at Diane von Furstenberg

Named “Seduction,” DVF’s fall 2015 collection opened to the soundtrack of “50 Shades of Grey,” making for a powerful collection of boldness, femininity, and of course, patterns!

7. Abstract Prints at Herve Leger by Max Azria

While you may know Max Azria and Lubov Azria for their designs for BCBG, the Azrias are most famously known for their perfection of the bandage dress, as shown from their Herve Leger line. Inspired by the Gaudi architecture of Barcelona, their collection shows off bold colors abstract patterns, and femininity.

8. Preppy in Pink at Kate Spade

While Kate is most famously known for her irresistible handbags, her line also includes a whole variety of clothing, stationary, eyewear, and much more. Whimsical patterns, bold colors, preppiness, and a bit of quirk make for a cute collection!

Do you have any favorite designers, looks, or trends from NYFW Fall 2015?

Emma Shi is a freshman at Carnegie Mellon University majoring in Decision Science (so she can learn how to make a decision, hopefully) and a self-diagnosed shopaholic. Along with contributing to Her Campus, she is also on the varsity swim team and in Tartan Athelete Fellowship. Her passions include all things pink, French fries, cake, skiing, New York City, and the clearance rack. She has secret ambitions of becoming an extreme couponer or the next Lauren Conrad. Unfortunately, she doesn't have an Instagram or Twitter account, but you will most likely find her on campus keeping it classy (aka probably being awkward). 
I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.