This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Everyone has those days – the ones where you get up way too late, grab a poptart and some coffee and run to your morning classes. Breakfast on the fly can seem difficult, but if you know a few easy tricks you can get away with turning your favorite mug into a pancake breakfast for one with nothing but a microwave and the right ingredients.

First things first, gather your ingredients together. Here’s what you’ll need:

– A mug

– A spoon or small whisk for mixing

– 1/8 cup Bisquick, Jiffy, or another premade pancake mix

– 1/4 cup Milk or a milk substitute, depending on what you use

– Syrup, sugar, or another sweetener

– Extras like chocolate chips, sprinkles, blueberries, etc.

It’s time to make your meal!

In the mug, combine your pancake mix and milk until it has a smooth consistency. This should look like pancake batter, so if you need more mix or more milk to get it to that consistency, add it until it mixes smooth. Once you’ve done that, add your sweetener to taste and stir it again.

To add your extra toppings, add some and stir until they look well mixed in. Then, take more and add them to the top, stirring only a little bit. This will give you lots of stuff through the whole pancake instead of only at the bottom where they settle when you stir up the batter.

Finally, put the mug into the microwave and cook it for about one minute – depending on the size of your mug and your microwave, you may have to do this a little longer to cook it all the way through.  

Once it’s done, dig in and enjoy! I like to top mine with whipped cream, but you can experiment as much as you want with different extras and toppings. Try seasonal flavors like cinnamon apple or pumpkin, or fun and creative ideas like birthday sprinkles or cherry pie. The possibilities are as endless as your appetite!

Sources:

http://blondegirlcravings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/mug-pancake-1-of-1-3.jpg

https://kirbiecravings.com/2013/07/pancake-mug-cake.html

Sarah is a freshman studying Theatrical Design and Production at Carnegie Mellon University. One day she hopes to design costumes for Star Wars and Marvel films or television programs, but for now you can find her in her free time hanging out in her dorm drawing or watching TV, trying out a new mug cake recipe, or reading her latest National Geographic issue. You can follow her on Instagram at @theocqueen to see all her latest doodles and sketches.
I'm a lover of writing, art and music. I'm always down for a chat, and love listening to people tell their stories.