FMR: The Process, Food and Best of All, Bid Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Try it. Live it. Love it. This is the motto of formal membership recruitment (FMR) for sororities. It’s an exciting process where girls visit all five houses and preference where they would like to return. All the houses have something to offer and are looing for girls who match their motto and values.

So what can girls expect? Each house is welcoming, presenting food and drinks for the girls to eat and a warm, inviting atmosphere. Girls talk to potential sorority sisters as they enjoy appetizers and sit in the living rooms of the houses. Each house is decorated with pictures of the sisters living sorority life. It helps to see the pictures to get a feel for what each sorority likes to participate in. And of course, sorority sisters talk about their participation in Greek Sing and booth.

On the second night, girls get a tour of the houses and see bedrooms that are fully furnished as well as the house kitchens, basements, and hang-out spots. The decorations and feeling of the house help girls in narrowing down their choices. As the third approaches, girls are invited back to up to three houses. On the third night, the houses talk about their philanthropy and how they give back to the community. Being part of a sorority is a wonderful, engaging way to get involved with service. After the third night, girls rank their preferences and can be invited back to up to two houses for the fourth night.

The fourth night is personal and emotional as girls will have to make a final decision by the end. Each house goes through a ritual where they speak personally about each potential sister and really put forth an effort to make their house seem like the place to be. At the end of the night, girls rank the houses and hope to get a bid back.
Bid night is exciting and fun! Finally, girls know where they will be a part of, but their sisters do not know who has accepted a bid. Girls line up in rows on the stage of Rangos Ballroom wearing sweatshirts that cover up their bid shirts. Each row lines up in front of all the sorority sisters and unzips the sweatshirts to reveal their choices. As girls jump off the stage, they are welcomed by their new sisters.

Participating in FMR is a great way to meet new people on campus, many of which come from all disciplines of study and have different interests. FMR is a fun way to participate in a campus event that celebrates strong women. Even if Greek life is not one’s interest, it is not a loss to partake in FMR. There is no obligation to join a sorority and it’s a fun part of the year that should not be missed! 

Soniya Shah is an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon University studying technical writing and pre-med.
Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.