Five Tips for Packing up Your Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Between studying for finals and enjoying the beautiful weather, packing at the end of the year can seem like a daunting task that none of us want to do. Here are five tips to make your life easier (and a little more fun) while packing.

1.  Listen to Music

Listening to music while packing can make the time go by much faster and be a fun distraction from the work you are doing. Turn on a jammin’ Spotify, Itunes, or Pandora playlist and enjoy.

2.  Don’t try to Pack all at Once

If you try to pack all of your stuff at one time, odds are you are going to end up getting tired and cranky. To prevent this from happening, take a couple breaks throughout the day to go outside, watch TV, or even just take a nap. Make sure you give yourself a set time for starting and ending each break, that way you won’t get sidetracked and forget to keep packing.

3.  Get Packing Boxes

Home Depot sells really inexpensive packing boxes for 2 dollars apiece and they will make your life a lot easier when packing up your dorm. You can get boxes in small, medium and large sizes, plus you can save them to use each year.

4.  Do Laundry

Whether it be for storage or a suitcase, make sure to do laundry before packing clothing. It is important to do this because dirty clothes can get very smelly in a suitcase and very moldy if they are stored away for the summer. Of course, nobody likes doing laundry, but it’ll pay off in the long run to just do it.

5.  Don’t Procrastinate!

Procrastination for packing is such a problem for most people and it can be very stressful to pack up an entire dorm in one night. Save yourself the trouble and get started early. You don’t have to pack a lot of things each time, but if you do a little each day, you will be surprised how quickly you can get the job done.

I'm currently a Junior majoring in Architecture and minoring in Technical Writing here at CMU :) Outside of academics I have a passion for fitness amd makeup artistry.