Campus Celebrity: Josh Kim, B.Arch 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

Most people at CMU don’t know many of the architecture majors on campus (because we essentially live in studio) but one Archie that is definitely worth getting to know is Josh Kim (aka Gyeong Yon Kim).

An international student from Korea, Josh doesn’t get out much…He has only traveled to Paris, Montreal, Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Chicago, St. Louis, and Seattle (just to name a few). Recently, he just made the drive cross-country from Seattle to Pittsburgh, where he currently calls home. He chose to go to school at CMU because of the diversity of the student body and the different opportunities available to students across different majors.

Now a third-year, Josh specifically chose to study architecture at CMU because “the field of architecture is so broad; there is a lot of room for creativity and the chance to explore something that you are constantly surrounded by while rationalizing its inherent intangibles.”

Outside of studio, (a treasured and sacred time for Archies) Josh has a passion for dancing and skincare. He is an amazing hip-hop dancer and was appointed as the Director of Soul Stylz last year. Everyone should come to the Dancer’s Symposium Show at the end of this semester to watch them perform! As far as his love for skincare, he has an obsession with facial masks, (which are crucial after an all-nighter in studio) and his bathroom is apparently filled with many different products. Anyone needing recommendations for their skincare regiment should go talk to him.

Lastly, here’s a quick snapshot of some of Josh’s favorite things:

1. Favorite TV Show: Game of Thrones or Grey’s Anatomy

2. Favorite Movie: Kill Bill

3. Favorite Musical Artist: FKA Twigs

4. Favorite place off CMU campus: Lawrenceville Galleries on Penn Ave

5. Favorite Restaurant off CMU campus: Spice Island

6. Favorite Food: Anything Asian (“heavily spiced” food as he describes it)

7. Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “That is like asking a parent which child is their favorite…”

8. Favorite Color: Yellow (even though he wears black 90% of the time)

9. Favorite Entertainer (not to be confused with artist): Beyonce

10. Favorite Season: Fall

Photo Sources:

Josh Kim – Facebook

I'm currently a Junior majoring in Architecture and minoring in Technical Writing here at CMU :) Outside of academics I have a passion for fitness amd makeup artistry. 
I am currently senior majoring in Business Administration and Statistics with a track in Finance at Carnegie Mellon University. Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Enid Blyton and J.K Rowling are a few of my favorite authors. I also love watching British TV shows (Sherlock is my favorite!). On campus, I am involved in several activities, including Carnegie Mellon Business Association and Smart Woman Securities.