Braving the Storm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

I have a mental bucket list of things to finish up before I graduate. But it’s not your typical bucket list: it has nothing to do with campus traditions, some sort of streaking that seems to occur at every other school, or anything CMU-related at all. Instead, it’s about doing justice to Pittsburgh. I want to make sure I do all the things I should before I leave Pittsburgh for good. 

First up, Quiet Storm. An adorable vegan and vegetarian café in East Liberty on Penn Avenue. A few of us trecked down to the spot that is known for it’s delicious teas, vegan milkshakes and yummy dishes. The restaurant has a retro dining feel: black and white checkered floor, red and cream chairs, and a bookshelf in the back of the corner.

On top of the usual espresso and coffee drinks, you can select your drink from a variety of teapots. I browsed options like Tripe Rice Pot, a green tea infused with rice milk and brown rice syrup, or Mellow Gold, G.I.E. tea with fresh ginger lemon. 

I ordered an Apple Panini: a gooey sandwich stuffed with apples, cream cheese, apple butter and sundried tomato bread. My friend ordered fried tofu with sides of vegetables. Other options include salads, more sandwiches, and hot plates like curry. 

The pace of the cafe was slow and leisurely. The perfect place to spend a Friday afternoon and recap the events of the week. 

Julianne Grauel is a sophomore Professional Writing major at Carnegie Mellon University and is originally from the California Bay Area. At Carnegie Mellon she is a peer tutor for writing and an active sister in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. This past summer, she interned at Gentry Magazine and hopes to work for a magazine after college. Julianne loves football, sushi, sunshine, and dance parties. She probably consumes far too much Red Mango froyo and can’t get enough of Project Runway. In her free time she likes to travel, watch sports center, take spinning classes and, most of all, shop.