This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CMU chapter.

As temperatures are dropping and sidewalks are icing over, suddenly looking chic has become a lot more challenging. Here are five great ways to stay warm without sacrificing style.

1. Over-the-knee boots

If you haven’t invested in a pair of these yet, do so immediately. They magically turn everything from an oversized sweater to an old t-shirt into a fashionable ensemble. Not to mention they’ll keep your legs nice and toasty!

2. An oversized scarf

I personally think infinity scarves are the warmest variety, but anything that’s big enough to double as a blanket should do the trick. Finding one in Tartan plaid would just be an added bonus.

3. Pom pom beanies

These are the absolute warmest hats you’ll find. The thick knit material will protect your head and ears from bitter winds, while the pom pom keeps things feminine and fun. What’s not to love?

4. Waterproof boots

Since we chose to go to school in Pittsburgh (why again?), these are a must. Try a pair with fur on top or an open-flap style like these for a cute snow bunny look. Plus, they’ll save you from slipping on all the ice!

5. Turtlenecks

For some reason, turtlenecks get a bad rap. They might not be the sexiest of garments, but they’ll keep your neck warm and keep you fashion-forward at the same time. That’s a win win in our book. 

I am a junior Materials Science and Engineering mjaor at Carnegie Mellon University, and I am also minoring in Professional Writing and Business. I am a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.  I love TV and trying out new beauty products.  I follow E! on Twitter so that I can stay up-to-date on celebrity news.  I'm royal-obsessed, and I love Kate Middleton's style.  I'm kind of a Sephora addict, and I could easily spend hours there.  I also spend way too much time on Pinterest.  Finally, I love hockey and all Pittsburgh sports.