Why You Should Join “She’s a 10” Clemson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Are you looking for a campus club to join? Are you passionate about gender equality? Do you want to better the culture of Clemson and beyond?

Check out She’s a 10 Clemson- a new student organization focused on leading a cultural reset in the way society sees, respects, and values women and girls by flipping the phrase “she’s a 10” to mean more than about a woman’s looks! Read on to learn more about She’s a 10 Clemson from club President Amberlyn White and Vice President Juliana Baumann (yours truly)!

Here’s a bit of background for you! The “She’s a 10” gender equality campaign is owned and operated by the League of Change Institute, Inc., a registered non-profit organization based out of Atlanta. The idea behind the campaign is to donate $10 in honor of a woman or girl in your life. That $10 will go towards sponsoring a deserving girl to attend an educational workshop, 10s Stand Up and Speak Out, where she will learn to build her best self from within. In the words of Lynne Fair Homrich, Chairwoman and CEO of “She’s a 10” & League of Change, “Changing the way we value women and girls is essential to achieving peace, prosperity, and equality for all.”

After meeting Lynne Fair Homrich at a conference in October 2017 and learning about the campaign, Amberlyn and I knew it was something special we’d want to bring back to Clemson. Through working closely with Lynne and her supportive team of rock stars, we’ve registered our own team under the campaign and can be officially recognized as “She’s a 10” Clemson! And we’re not the only ones! “She’s a 10” clubs have been established on other college campuses around the U.S. including Ohio State and Alabama.

The mission of “She’s a 10” Clemson is to redefine what it means for a woman or girl to be a “10” through focusing efforts on making action-based initiatives on Clemson’s campus. “She’s a 10” Clemson believes that through campaigning, fundraising, educating and collaborating, we can make the phrase “she’s a 10” stand for a female’s strengths, talents, and character, instead of just her body and looks.

How is the club going to do this?

• By campaigning for flipping the phrase “she’s a 10” to a more positive connotation

• By committing to educate students about gender equality

• By fundraising to put deserving girls through the Stand Up and Speak Out workshop and through hosting fun, interactive, and engaging events including an on-campus self-defense class (info soon to come on the “She’s a 10” Facebook group, see below to join!)

• By working collaboratively with other organizations on campus to get the word out

Why do we love “She’s a 10”? Here are a few reasons:

“I believe that all people were created equal and I have a special passion for women and their advancements in society. Women have something unique to bring to the table and I love that “She’s a 10” helps bring this to the surface” – Amberlyn White, President of She’s a 10 Clemson, Women’s Leadership Major & Communications Minor, Clemson University

“I am a huge advocate for global gender equality. It is my #1 passion area. Though to make a big change, you have to start small and start local! I love the She’s a 10 campaign because it focuses on a simple language flip that has tangible potential for a huge cultural shift, here at Clemson and beyond!” – Juliana Baumann, Vice President of She’s a 10 Clemson, Women’s Leadership & Psychology Major, Clemson University

Awesome stuff right?! If this interests you or you want to learn more, “She’s a 10” Clemson would love to have you involved! Stay up to date with the club’s happenings by joining the “She’s a 10” Clemson Facebook group and by following @shesa10life on Instagram! See the pic below for our handles.

For more information or to be added to the email list, please email shesa10cu@gmail.com with your name! “She’s a 10” Clemson can’t wait to have you and to change the world together!

**Photo Credits: Juliana Baumann and the “She’s a 10” campaign

Hey! I'm Juliana Baumann. I'm a Women's Leadership and Psychology student at Clemson University. I stay active at Clemson through my position as a UPIC Intern, and my involvement in campus organizations such as Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity, She's a 10, and Her Campus! When I'm not running around from meeting to meeting, you can find me traveling within the US and around the world!
Hannah Fanset

Clemson '21

Hi, Everyone! I'm Hannah Fanset. I'm a sophomore from Rochester, NY, and I'm majoring in psychology and management. My favorite things are books, movies, traveling, eating good food and laughing way too loud.