This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Beyonce’s now infamous lyrics have in many ways defined the feminist movement of the 2016 election cycle. Although the first week of November 2016 seemed to be on the cusp of this song’s realization, it wasn’t until January 21, 2017 that the world truly witnessed the palpable power of unified women and girls around the world. Millions of women, girls, men, and boys across the globe gathered to rally, sing, discuss, and overarchingly march, to show unity and solidarity in opposition to the issues the incoming administration prose. Reasons for marching spread well beyond protest of the inauguration itself to include the negative rhetoric against immigrants, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, people with disabilities, and women in addition to key issues like healthcare, the environment, education, and women’s health.

The original focus of the Women’s March on Washington grassroot demonstration was in Washington, DC where marchers gathered by the hundreds of thousands. Quickly, though, hundreds of “Sister Marches” were assembled around the country and across continents. Even here in Clemson, SC, a red district in a just as red state, hundreds of demonstrators gathered for a peaceful protest march. The march began at the Littlejohn Community Center and ended with a rally and “teach-in” at the Strom Thurmond Institute on Clemson University’s campus. Aided by Clemson University Police and march organizers, demonstrators walked on the sidewalks and shoulder of Highway 93 with onlookers watching and cheering them on. Colorful signs displaying messages of policy dissent, reasons for participating, and most of all unity broke through the otherwise hazy and gray sky during the approximately 2.5 mile route.

Perhaps the most poignant sight of this particular walk was the numerous young girls (and boys) walking with their parents, some even riding in strollers or wagons, along the march route. These young activists came from different backgrounds, whether ethnically, socioeconomically, and racially, but all had the same glimmer of hope in their eyes. Equally poignant was the look of ambition among my peers – the next generation of policy makers and representatives.

The question of “moment or movement” has been tossed around liberally in regards to this demonstration but based on what I witnessed today I feel certain that this was not a fire that will quickly burn, but one that will smolder over the next two years and carry those underrepresented through the midterm elections. This base will continue to raise questions of the current administration and their policy decisions but this base will also prepare to ask within themselves “who wants to run the world?” CU in 2018.

Additional Tidbits:

What can you do to join the movement?

ACT: Call or email your senators and representatives and express how you, their constituent, feel about their stances. Volunteer at a local women’s shelter or similar entity to continue to show your commitment.

LEARN: Watch documentaries and stay informed about current issues via non-biased news sources. Personal Netflix recommendations: Miss Represented, 13th, Girl Rising (rent off iTunes or Amazon!)

LISTEN: To your peers of differing views to find common ground – the only ground we can build on.

FOLLOW: #WhyIMarch, #WomensMarch, #NastyWoman on social media platforms to read others’ stories of unity and strength.

Rebekah Griggs is a senior at Clemson University completing a degree in Production Studies in Performing Arts with a concentration in Audio Technology and a minor in Business Administration. In addition to serving as a Her Campus writer, she is also a member of TigerPaw Productions, CMA EDU, Grammy U, and is an ambassador for the College of Architecture, Arts, and Humanities. In her free time she loves watching Netflix documentaries, predicting award shows, debating pop culture, and collecting vinyl records.
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19