Ways to Give Back This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Everyone, especially college students, love this time of year because we finally get to go home after our long dreadful semester. It’s already December, and, before we know it, Christmas and the New Year will be just around the corner. When you’re relaxing at home over this break and thinking about things that you’re grateful for, be sure to consider those less fortunate than us. While we are busy shopping and eating, it’s important for us to think about those who may not be in the best conditions to afford a good meal or warm clothes. If you’re passionate or even just simply interested in helping the world and the beautiful people in it, here are some ways you can give back this season:

1. Clothes Donation.

One of the easiest things you can do is clean out your closet for any clothes you may not wear anymore. The Salvation Army is always looking for clothes donations around this time of year as people are cleaning out their wardrobe for the new year.

2. Food Drive.

Unfortunately, even in this day and age, one in every seven Americans still suffer from hunger despite all of the development and progress gifted to this country. If you think about it, if such an advanced nation can still have people that go hungry every single day, then the statistics for hunger in other less fortunate countries should be unfathomable. While it still may take time to end world hunger, we can do our part in taking little steps by holding a local food drive. You can do this by requesting canned foods and donations to donate to the food bank because the best way to start is in your own community.

3. Soup Kitchen.

Going along the last point, there are so many people around us that won’t be able to have a good warm Christmas dinner. A simple way you can help those in need is by volunteering at your local or nearby soup kitchen to provide food for those who may go hungry this holiday season.

4. Toys for Tots.

Christmas mornings as a kid are some of our best memories from our childhood. Unfortunately, not many kids around the world are able to feel that joy. One organization that you probably heard of, Toys for Tots, works to deliver toys to less fortunate kids around the world. All you need to do is donate a few inexpensive toys to the charity, and they’ll be on their way to some very grateful children.

5. Holiday Cards for Veterans.

We should also consider those who aren’t able to be at home this holiday season because they are so generous as to fight for our safety. Making a holiday card for a veteran is one of the simplest yet thoughtful things you can do to make their season a little sweeter. If you don’t know of any veterans in your family or in your community, you can give your cards to a local American Red Cross that participates in a Holidays for Heroes program.

While you’re at home and have a little time on your hands, consider these simple ways you can make a difference this holiday season. It’s very easy to forget the little things in life like a warm homemade meal or clothes, but we should remember that these little things also hold the power to change someone’s life as well.

It’s also important to remember that while superficial things, like the quality of community, money, family, and food separate us from those less fortunate, all of us still deserve the love and security that comes along with this time of year.

Hemani Patel

Clemson '19

Hi readers! My name is Hemani Patel, and I am Senior Biochemistry major at Clemson University. When I'm not in the library (which is most of the time), I'm usually watching movies, with my friends, or practicing with my Bollywood fusion dance team! I'm also very adventurous, so I like to travel and be around new places and people.
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19