The Truth About Getting a Tattoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Tattoos are, in my humble opinion, the greatest way to express your personality for everyone to see. If you have never gotten one before but have been considering it, here is the tell-all truth about what it’s really like to get stabbed with ink hundreds of times.

1. The pain is different depending on where you get it

If you get your tattoo on a flat area with some muscle/fat, it’s going to hurt a lot less than if you were to get one on a bony or sensitive area. Your back is a great place to start because it’s a flat surface for your artist to work on, and there’s some muscle and fat on it to help with the pain. While getting a tattoo on your ribcage may look super cute, it’s going to hurt a whole lot more.

2. Color hurts more and takes longer

If you’re nervous about getting a tattoo, I’d suggest starting with something that can be done in all black. When  you add color to a tattoo, you’re adding more time under the needle and also more pain. Since color requires shading, there’s more needles involved.

3. Your artist makes all the difference

Find someone you like and are comfortable with to do your tattoo. While walking in somewhere might be convenient, you may end up with an artist who you just don’t click with. Book an appointment beforehand and make sure you are familiar with their work. Most tattoo artists have instagrams, so find someone whose style you like and book an appointment with them. Also, some artists like to have more freedom with their tattoos than you may want. If your artist is trying to push you to do something you don’t entirely want, leave. This is a permanent change to your body: you want to make sure you love it.

4. South Carolina is one of the safest states to get a tattoo

The regulations in place in SC for getting a tattoo make it one of the most reputable states. You’re even allowed to donate blood almost immediately after getting a tattoo in SC, which is not the case for most states.

5. They are addicting

Tattoos are addicting. If you get one, chances are you’ll end up wanting a second one. I don’t know why, maybe it’s the adrenaline rush or the way they look, but once you get one you’ll want more.

6. Start small

If you’ve never gotten a tattoo before, don’t rush into a full sleeve. Have an awesome idea for a full back piece that you want? Start with one small element of it. You can always go back and add more – you can’t go back and take it away.

7. It is 100% your decision

Do not let anyone put any pressure on you about your tattoo. Some people might tell you it’s a stupid idea. Some people might want you to get something different than what you want. Whatever you do: don’t listen to them. You need to make the decision about getting a tattoo yourself. While you can certainly weigh the opinions of others and the people you care about, in the end, it is YOUR body and not theirs.

My name is Carly McRae and I'm a junior at Clemson University. I'm studying Secondary Education with an emphasis in English and am in denial that I'm more than halfway done with school. I'm a member of TakeNote, our female a cappella group, Clemson University Singers, as well as the Beta Kappa chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. I love being a Clemson tiger and am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19