Trends We All Secretly Want to Bring Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Chokers

You know you had a whole collection of tattoo-style chokers in your jewelry box that you are dying to bust out again (but only can for 90s or 2000s themed parties). Maybe that’s for the best, because they weren’t the most comfortable fashion accessory.

Turtlenecks

Your mom definitely put you in turtlenecks in elementary school and your neck was always the WARMEST. While nowadays you can occasionally get away with one if you pair it with a cute vest, turtlenecks have lost their steam. Which sucks, because they have such a cute name.

Halter tops

Can you even count the number of Pac Sun halter tops you owned that your dad definitely did not want you to leave the house in? A summer staple, halters were easy, breezy, and cute. Yet how many do you see around today? A sad, low number. Probably because everyone realized that you can’t really wear a bra with a halter.

Gauchos

What better to put with your halter top than a pair of gauchos? The original yoga pants, I’m actually heartbroken that these went out of style. They were so loose and flowy and comfortable, so if they were still around you would see me in them every day.

Studded everything

There was a time when every teenager/young adult thought they were punk. And the only way to show it was to only buy studded accessories. Everything from belts to purses to chokers (of course) came studded. Studded bracelets were everywhere, usually paired with some sort of neon or a ~rebellious~ pink or blue hair streak that your mom definitely did not approve of.

Coach purses

I’m not talking about today’s Coach with the simple and elegant bags. I’m talking about the purses that screamed “Coach” from five miles away, with the signature logo plastered across the entire bag. Anybody who was anybody has a Coach purse slung across her shoulder alongside her backpack (which, speaking of, was also a questionable fashion choice).

Denim

Oh, that fateful day when Britney and Justin wore matching all-denim outfits. Who didn’t want that patchy blue-denim dress? For those of us with less eccentric taste, denim jackets were all the rage. Pair them with a flouncy skirt, and you had the perfect outfit. Back in the early 2000s, denim on denim wasn’t a faux pas, it was a fashion statement.

Shutter shades

All of sudden, shutter shades were everywhere and you couldn’t walk past a Claire’s without seeing shelves full of them. The didn’t really do a whole lot in terms of sun protection, but they came in so many fun colors and looked so good in all your digital camera selfies.

What were some of your favorite trends growing up that you would choose to bring back?

My name is Carly McRae and I'm a junior at Clemson University. I'm studying Secondary Education with an emphasis in English and am in denial that I'm more than halfway done with school. I'm a member of TakeNote, our female a cappella group, Clemson University Singers, as well as the Beta Kappa chapter of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity. I love being a Clemson tiger and am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!