Spring Break Packing Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

By: Riley Loftus

It’s that time of year again. With midterms finally behind us and everyone eager for a vacation, let the countdown until Spring Break begin. Packing for a vacation is always stressful with the possibility of forgetting important items. You may have thought about the clothes and accessories you plan on packing, but what about the items for your beach bag? Besides, of course, your swimsuit and flip-flops, there are a few essentials you do not want to forget. Whether you’re traveling to the Caribbean for a tropical getaway or hitting the lake with friends, here are a few items you cannot afford to leave behind.

A Towel & Sunscreen

Probably the two most obvious, yet crucial items you’ll need to pack. Forgetting a towel would result in a very sandy and uncomfortable time at the beach. Naturally, no one wants to experience that. As for sunscreen, be sure to pack one with enough SPF to prevent sun damage. While you’re at it, pick up a lip balm with SPF as well. This way you will be protecting your skin and lips from those harsh UV rays.

Bonus: Make sure to bring both tanning oil (indoor lotion from the tanning bed works awesome in the sun!), and bring some after sun lotion/oil/aloe- don’t want that color peeling off in less than a week!

Sunglasses

Neglect to bring sunglasses and you will definitely be regretting it. Squinting at the sun all day can be painful and exhausting. To avoid this, do not forget to bring a pair. Sunglasses will also help shield your eyes from UV radiation. Not to mention they are a fashionable accessory that will glam up any outfit. 

Bonus: It’ll be more beneficial to bring several pairs of cheap (plastic sunglasses) over one pair of expensive sunglasses. Drinking mixed with PCB madness is bound in result in some lost items. 

A Hat

Classic ball cap or trendy floppy hat, whichever you prefer. Toss a hat in your bag as another way to protect your face and scalp in the sun. Believe it or not, your scalp can burn and from previous experience you want to avoid this at all costs.

Bonus: If you’re prone to hat hair and refuse to wear hats- make sure you pull your hair back without placing your hair into any part (that’ll cause your scalp to burn) 

A Book or Magazine

Spring Break is the perfect opportunity to catch up on your reading. Say goodbye to those painful school novels and hello to book your actually want to read. If books don’t sound appealing to you, throw a few magazines into your beach bag. You can catch up on the latest celebrity drama while soaking up the sunshine.

Bonus: Gone Girl  by Gillian Flynn is a murder mystery novel that’s turning into a major motion picture starring Ben Affleck. *Great read

Ipod & Headphones

There is nothing better than listening to some tunes while relaxing at the beach or lake. If you’ll be hanging with a group of friends then bring along speakers so everyone can jam out!

Bonus: Make sure to bring several zip lock bags for your iphone. Sand easily sticks to the charging and headset compartments- place your phone in the zip lock bag, makes it water proof/sand proof and usable all at the same time! 

Hair Essentials

Salt water has a wonderful way of making your hair feel dry and tangled. Pack along a brush, headband, and hair ties, so you can have a few options for when you get out of the water. Remembering these items can help you manage the “hot mess” you’re hair may be in after time spent in the ocean.

Bonus: If looking for some natural highlights from the sun you can use lemon oil (if you’re a blonde) and apple cider (for brunettes). Gives your hair that little extra!

Water

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! With the hot sun beating down on you all day it’s important to remain hydrated.  

Bonus: You can even freeze a bottle the night before to avoid sipping warm water in the heat.

Snacks

If you’re spending hours and hours in the sun you will want to remember a couple snacks. Being out in the heat can work up an appetite. To satisfy your growling stomach, pack some food with you. Just beware of hungry seagulls flying overhead.

Bonus: Ideal snacks don’t bloat you, cause smelly breath, or leave a mess- try wheat thins, pretzels, or almonds. 

Hand Sanitizer

Packing hand sanitizer will keep you healthy and germ free over Spring Break. The last thing you need is to get sick and be trapped inside while all of your friends are out enjoying themselves.

Money

There may be a boardwalk or shops nearby, so throwing some cash into your bag is definitely a smart idea. Even just a few bucks may come in handy when you’re in dyer need of an ice cold, refreshing drink.

Spring Break is in sight! It seems the entire campus is longing for sun kissed skin and a week of no classes. Wherever you plan on traveling, be prepared by packing these beach bag necessities. Bringing these items will allow for a relaxing Spring Break that is sure to be smooth sailing.

Photo Credits:

http://thegreenergood.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/bamboo-towel.jpg?w=199…

http://www.pridepta.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/spring-break-green-be…

http://rlv.zcache.com/is_it_spring_break_yet_mesh_hat-r6e753975e9664a39a…

http://www.ilounge.com/gallery/iphone_asia/_MG_3636.jpg