A Night at the Theatre: Cinderella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

This weekend, I was lucky enough to be invited by a friend to see the musical Cinderella at the Brooks Center for free. Put on by Work Light Productions, people may have been surprised if they were expecting the traditional Disney version of the story. It was instead told in the Rodgers and Hammerstein’s style with the accompanying musical soundtrack.  

This version of the story, one that I personally had never seen before, was refreshing. The character of Cinderella was more complex. She advocated for issues in the kingdom, including the taking of land from the poor, to the Prince and inspired him to take action.  She encouraged him to meet his people and stand up to his advisors instead of sitting around passively.  In addition, she embraced her identity by changing her name from Ella to Cinderella to inspire others to dream big.

Cinderella was portrayed by the actress Tatyana Lubov who did a splendid job at remaining animated and energetic through the whole two hour production. However, I believe that the actor who played Prince Topher, Hayden Stanes, stole the show. His rich singing voice made me want to hear more of his solos and less from Cinderella.  The ensemble had some acrobatic elements with occasional backflips and handsprings down the length of the stage which made it impossible for your eyes to stray away from the performance.  Overall, it was thoroughly entertaining from start to finish!

Former Senior Editor
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19