This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Hometown: Simpsonville, SC

Major: Secondary Education and English

Year: Sophomore

Gamma Sigma Sigma Position: Service Vice President

Favorite Flavor of Ben & Jerry’s: Tonight Dough

What other organizations are you involved in on campus?

I am a GoalPOST instructor at Spearman Elementary School, a member of the English Majors Organization, FCA, and the founder of a small group Bible study.

What philanthropies are Gamma Sigma Sigma involved in?

As a service sorority we have the opportunity to be involved with over 50+ service organizations. However, our National Service Partners that Gamma Sig Sisters participate in on an individual, chapter, and national level are: March of Dimes, Alex’s Lemonade Stand, American Cancer Society, Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), and the American Red Cross.

What are some of the events you get to run as Service Vice President?

I organize over 100+ service events each semester which is great because we are constantly raising money or donating time to these amazing causes. On Monday we had our first annual Ballin’ 4 Babies event at the Esso Club downtown for March of Dimes where we raised over $800. On Wednesday April 5th we are hosting Karaoke for Cancer (KFC) at TD’s, and to finish off the semester, we will also be participating in Relay For Life later this month.

What is your favorite Gamma Sigma Sigma event?

My favorite service event is anytime I get to work with children. I really enjoy going to Clemson Elementary with Project IMPACT or Helping Hands and spending time with the foster children there. I love children which probably is the reason why I feel led to become a teacher in the first place.

What is something special about your organization?

We have a service day called Sam Rankin Day around the community that every sister participates in. It is in honor of a sister that passed away years ago and the sorority has a ceremony to honor her and remember her spirit. It is so touching because her family still comes down every year from Maryland just to watch the ceremony and be a part of her day. This year I got to spend some time with her family and meet them personally and it was extremely touching.

What do you love most about Gamma Sig?

What I love most is that it encompasses service and sisterhood so beautifully. While service is the priority, we still are everything a panhellenic sorority offers including sisterhood bonding, mixers, functions, Big/Little reveal, and chapter every week. This past week we had our formal, and it was so nice to spend time with my sisters and friends in a social setting.

What is a quote that you live by?

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” -Joshua 1:9

Former Senior Editor
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19