Katelynn Montgomery ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Katelynn Montgomery

Class of 2016

Education Major

Concentration in Special Education

Campus Involvement: Resident Assistant in Clemson House

Why did you chose to focus on special education?

I began teaching a special needs Sunday school class at my church while I was in high school. The individuals in the class ranged from age 5 to 40 and they each had something unique to bring to the table. After volunteering with their class for a few weeks I realized that I had a true passion for working with individuals with disabilities. I researched a variety of jobs and then decided that I would be the happiest as a special education teacher. 

What has been your favorite part about student teaching?

My favorite part about student teaching so far has been the bonds I have formed with my students. We are able to joke around and still complete our work which isn’t the case in many high school classrooms. 

What do you most look forward to buying or spending your money on with a full-time salary next year?

I would love to be able to spend some of my extra money traveling. I would love to take day trips on the weekends to places nearby like Asheville, NC. 

What will you miss most about Clemson when you graduate?

I will miss campus the most after I graduate. I have lived on campus all 4 years that I have attended Clemson. I love living so close to my friends and I know that moving off campus will be a big change for me. 

Favorite restaurant in the Clemson area?

My favorite restaurant in Clemson is Sardi’s Den. They have great food and a relaxing environment that’s perfect for any occasion. My family and I always go there when they come to visit. 

Former Clemson Student Affairs Graduate Student and Clemson House Graduate Community Director. San Juan bred, Atlanta raised me.
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!