Jose Hernandez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Jose Hernandez is a junior Biology major at Clemson!

On a typical Friday afternoon, sometime after 4:30 you can find Jose Hernandez teaching others how to dance Salsa, Bachata, or Merengue, at Salsa Club’s weekly meet-up at Clemson’s Underground Recreation Center (open to all and free if you ever want to check it out). Don’t be intimated by his dance knowledge and moves, he is always happy and patient enough to teach others at whatever level they’re at. Of Mexican descent, Jose recently got to spend his winter break with family and friends basking in the warm weather of Tamazulápam Del Progreso, Oaxaca, Mexico.

How did you learn how to dance?

• I learned how to dance forcefully at the age of 12. By forcefully I mean my brother would teach me or punch me haha but I now love the fact that he taught me!

What was the highlight of your winter break?

• The highlight of my winter break was going to Mexico and meeting new people and dancing with new people, new styles and types of music.

What do you most enjoy about your cultural heritage?

• I absolutely love everything about my culture but if I have to choose one thing it would have to be the celebrations and dances cause they are always fun.

Photo Credits:

Jose

Former Clemson Student Affairs Graduate Student and Clemson House Graduate Community Director. San Juan bred, Atlanta raised me.