Jaclyn Liguori: Dancing Through Clemson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Hometown:  Marlton, NJ

Major/Minor: Nursing

Year: Sophomore

Other Organization Involvement: Clemson Dancers, TigerStrut, University Dance Company, Alpha Lambda Delta, National Society of Collegiate Scholars, Student Nursing Association, FCA

Favorite Clemson Tradition: Storming the field after winning

Why did you choose to come to Clemson?

When I began looking into colleges, I knew that I wanted to come to the south for the warm weather and southern hospitality. Clemson also had a direct entry nursing program, a rare thing in the south. My sister applied to both Clemson and USC, and that was my first time I became familiar with either of the schools. When I visited, I fell in love with Clemson. 

How did you first get involved in dance?

I followed my sisters in dance, and I started taking class at the age of three. 17 years later, I’m still dancing.

What genres have you trained in? What is your favorite one to perform?

I have trained in ballet, jazz, tap, hip-hop, pointe, lyrical, contemporary, modern, and Broadway.  Lyrical is my favorite to perform because it allows you to put a lot of emotions into your dancing. It’s also a mixture of a bunch of different styles which keeps the movements unique and ever-changing.

How did you first hear about Clemson Dancers?

When I was making my final decisions about college, I did a lot of research about dance because I knew it was something I wanted to stay with. I found out about Clemson Dancers and emailed the president for more information. I asked about TigerStrut, came to the meeting, and auditioned. Two years later, here I am.

Why was it important for you to continue dancing?

It was important to me because I’ve been doing it for so long, and it has always been a huge part of my life. I knew that I needed an activity besides studying and school. It’s also a great stress reliever. It gives me another community outside of my major, and it has allowed me to meet other people who share my passion for dance.

How are you involved in Clemson Dancers?

I’m a second-year member of TigerStrut which is Clemson Dancer’s competition team. We will attend three competitions throughout North and South Carolina this spring. I also teach a lyrical class on Thursdays at 5 PM in the Brooks Center. I do choreography as well, and I will be performing in the spring showcase at the end of the year.

What inspires your choreography?

I like to think of real life situations and stories, which can be shared visually onstage. I also find it important to collaborate with others and learn from my fellow dancers when I choreograph. Shea is my co-teacher and co-choreographer. We bounce ideas off each other, and it’s been a great way to create routines. She finds her inspiration in dreams, so we take concepts from that to build pieces.

Who is one of your favorite dancers/choreographers?

Definitely Travis Wall. His choreography is very creative. I’ve taken class from him before, and he’s very personable even though he is so well known. His choreography has this indescribable quality about it. It’s breath taking.

Why do you think dance is an important art?

It requires a lot of creativity while still maintaining the technical aspect.  Dance is an important mean of expression. It’s the only art where you can tell a story through your body movements. It takes physical, mental, and visual energies to create a meaningful dance piece.

What do you believe is the most difficult aspect of dance?

I think the balance between technique and creativity is difficult. You have the technical aspect that you have to master while still applying your creative flow. It’s also difficult to synchronize movements in a large group while keeping the individuality present.

What is the weirdest thing that has happened during a dance show?

I ran into a HUGE multicolor light onstage, and it broke. I had to keep dancing, but I felt really bad.

What’s the greatest thing dance has taught you?

It has taught me several things. It has given me confidence in my own individuality and the ability to work with a team. Because I always had to be at dance, I learned time management and dedication.

Follow Jaclyn on Instagram: @jaclyn_liguori

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19