If the Characters of High School Musical Were in Your Group Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

We all know (and in my case…love!) the High School Musical movies. They 

defined our late preteen and early teen years. In a way, they gave us a clear picture 

of what high school would be like. We belted out the song lyrics and perfected the 

dance moves. Kenny Ortega was seen as a genius in our minds, and we grew to love 

each character.

Of course, we’ve grown up a bit since the last movie hit the theaters. We realize 

that life doesn’t work out like a Disney Channel movie. Everything does not end with 

a choreographed dance number set to an inspiration tune that will be stuck in your 

head for months. We get it. Yet, as current college students, we jump at the 

opportunity to rewatch the series from the original to senior year. We relive every 

triumph, heartbreak, and song. I know because I’ve done it too. 

However, in the midst of my studying for exams and writing lab reports, I’ve 

reflected on these movies. We’re all in this together, right? Well, I wonder how our 

favorite East High Wildcats would react when put in the one thing that causes 

complaints from every high school and college student…group projects. So, let’s take 

a look, shall we?

Jason

Jason is your fellow student that asks the professor thoughtful questions that 

make the lecture hall groan. Yes, he is sweet, but sometimes, he can come off as a bit 

of a teacher’s pet. You think that he’ll be great to have in a group project, right? Well, 

not exactly. 

While Jason is a teacher’s pet, he is also extremely lazy. He’s the person in your 

group who rarely shows up to the meetings because he “forgot” about it when in 

reality he was just sleeping. He always seems confused when you try to explain the 

topic to him, and he needs to be walked through his part of the project. With Jason in 

your group, you end up doing two times the amount of work every single time.

Kelsi

Kelsi is the quiet girl in your group that seems super timid. She shows up to 

every meeting, but she never says or contributes much to the conversation. Instead, 

she sits silently while doodling in her notebook. You know she is really creative, and 

secretly, she has the best ideas in the group. However, your group never gives her 

the chance to share any of them. Her portion of the project looks phenomenal, and 

when the due date arrives, you almost wish she had done the whole project because 

everyone else’s section pales in comparison.

Chad

Yes, he shows up to the meetings, but Chad tends to be on average 15 minutes 

late to everything. He has energy to spare, and it comes in handy when your group’s 

meeting runs late again. No one is really sure what he contributes academically to 

the group, but he’s seen as the group’s encourager and a comic relief after too many 

hours in the library.

Taylor

We all know a Taylor McKessie. She’s the one in the group who has the most 

detailed planner that is color coordinated with every minute scheduled to maximize 

efficiency. While she is a great asset to your group and she takes on the natural 

leadership position, being in her group makes you think your life is a mess. After just 

one meeting, you realize that you have absolutely nothing figured out. Seeing her 5, 

10, and 25 year plan makes you think you should pick up a second major and two 

minors. You begin to think that this girl has more hours in the day then everyone 

else. Does she ever sleep? With the amount of things this girl is involved with while 

maintaining her 4.0 GPA and position on student government, you are exhausted 

just thinking about it.

Ryan

Depending on your personality, Ryan can be either a dream or a nightmare to 

have in your group. If you are a take-charge kind of person, you will love his 

willingness to go along with whatever plans or ideas you have. He is really good at 

following other people and enthusiastically contributing wherever he can. 

Sometimes, he contributes ideas, but they are so far-fetched that no one can take 

them seriously. I mean, don’t get me wrong, his ideas would be great if you had a 

year to put together the entire production he has in his head. However, instead he is 

subjected to following the carefully laid out plans of others.

Sharpay

Sharpay only cares if the project makes her look fabulous. She wants her voice to 

be heard, and you most definitely will hear her opinion. You will get stuck doing all 

the work, but it must follow her plan exactly. I’d suggest not getting in her way, and 

don’t even think about changing her ideas. She’s the group member that doesn’t take 

suggestions well, and she hates when people challenge her. Sharpay’s the one who 

terrifies the rest of the group into agreeing with her. In her mind, her way is the one 

and only way to get things done.

Gabriella

Everyone fights over who gets Gabriella in his or her group. She is that quiet, 

calm, and studious member of the group. She has great ideas and the knowledge to 

back it up. Her work ethic is unmatched by anyone else in the group. She listens to 

everyone’s ideas and works as the mediator in the group. Even though she could 

take on the leadership position if she wanted to, she works to include everyone in 

the project. Your group admires her patience and understanding. For that reason, 

your group can almost be guaranteed an A+.

Troy

What to say about Troy? He is the person everyone admires. He is an athlete, 

student, singer, and an all-around good guy. In your group project, he makes 

everyone feel appreciated and wanted. He strategically figures out the strengths and 

weaknesses of the group to determine how to best reach the end goal. As a team-

player, Troy will allow others to conribute especially if he realizes that they exhibit a 

skill he does not possess. He focuses on the team aspect of your group rather than 

defining himself the leader. While he is involved in many organizations on campus, 

he always makes time for your group, and he gives every assignment 110%.

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!