How to Make Your Apartment Colorful Yet Mature

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

This year I have finally made the move off-campus and in to my first apartment! I could not be more excited to have my own room that I can do whatever I wanted with. Then I realized I am from out of state and it would be really hard to bring a bed all the way down from New Jersey. Luckily my roommate had an extra bed that I could borrow, so my next question was how do I decorate?

I absolutely love color. I could never live in a plain black and white room. I knew that my walls were going to be white and I couldn’t change that, so my dilemma was how can I make my bedroom fun and bright without it still looking like my freshman dorm room? My room is really a burst of color and these 7 decorative suggestions do not all need to be used at once, but you’re still young and should save the drab colors for the library!

Strings of pictures hung with clothespins

My friends like to compare me to their moms because I am always making sure that we take pictures for any and every event and telling them they will thank me later (which they usually do). This means I have an endless collection of pictures to hang on my wall. I bought small clothespins and twine to string them across my wall. I like to think that it is a little more grown up than covering an entire wall in a mural of pictures.

Initial on the door

How would I know which of the rooms is mine everyday when I come home if I didn’t hang my first initial on the door? In reality, it just gave me an excuse to try and paint a new Lilly print this summer, but it looks cute and everyone that comes over to my apartment wants one.

Wall Stickers

I think I am a little late to the party on this trend, but when I was back-to-school shopping I found some really cute ones and anything to cover up the boring white walls is cool with me.

Select canvases

My dorm rooms have been overflowing with canvases the past few years. Between my own crafting addiction and sorority canvases from my big I ran out of room to put them all. This year I decided to donate some of them back to my sorority and keep my favorites. They are scattered around my room and much less overwhelming that in the past.

Unique dresser

I am blessed with a gigantic closet but I still felt like I needed some kind of dresser. However, a dresser wasn’t really an option for me to bring from home, so I decided to get a shelving unit I could put colorful pop up bins on.

Fun nightstand

I found a metal side table that needed a make over and spray painted it to match my comforter. The preppy pattern is cute and its petite size fits perfectly between the bed and the wall. I found similar ones on sites like Urban Outfitters and Wayfair.

Throw pillows

Long gone are the days of plain pillows. You can find a pillow with any design you could imagine on the internet, so use them to express your personality!

thumbnail credit

Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!