To the Girl That Keeps Saying No…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Start saying yes. You only get four years of college. While you may sometimes question your own judgement for choosing to embark on this four year journey of self exploration, eating half burnt/half uncooked meals in the dining hall, using dry shampoo for four days without a real shower, or staying in the library from sun up until sundown, they are still the only four years you get. It’s hard to admit, but do it for yourself. Admit that freshman year was hard. Admit that it wasn’t all the glamour you hoped it would be and you didn’t find your “forever home” right away. Admit that it took time, and that it still is.

Instead of looking back four years from now and saying, “I literally never went to a single (insert sorority) mixer, (insert fraternity party), or did anything that was out of my comfort zone.” I’m begging you, don’t be that girl. Be the girl that’s balanced, be the girl that’s kind hearted, be the girl that’s determined, be the girl that says yes. Instead of being “too cool” for that party or “too busy” to go to that school event, go. Go because it will open doors for you that you never would have imagined. Go because that little voice in the back of your head is annoying you about it. Go because you might find your five best friends just like I did. To me, the hardest part about college was letting go of who I was an embracing the girl college made me. Please, don’t be the girl that wonders what could have happened if she let her fears go and be the girl who lives out every day of college without fear and uses it to her advantage. Because you never know, that sorority mixer could help you find your five best friends, that frat party might introduce you to your now boyfriend of two years, that school event you were dreading could open doors for an awesome internship. Do the things that make you uncomfortable because they will make your future self better for it.

Stop saying no because you deserve to have these experiences. You deserve to find yourself during these adventurous four years of your life. So, do yourself a favor. The next time life throws something your way, say yes.

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19