First Date Musts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

First Date Musts

“It may not be your first-date -ever, but it may be your last first date.”

You never know when Prince Charming is going to sweep you off of your glass slipper-covered feet.  This is just a short list of the five things you must have with you on your first date-with potentially your last first date,

1) A Ponytail/Hair-tie

This is seriously a must-have, especially if he is the one planning the date.  You never know where you are going to be going, how dressy or how casual.  Most women expect a dinner date or something equivalent to a cliché, but there are guys out there who think outside the box, just not with your hair in mind.  Always have one, just in case, that way you won’t be stressing out about a potential mud-runner or romantic hike that’s definitely going to ruin that hair salon trip.  Take it in stride.

2) A Backup Plan

Always tell your friends where you are going.  This is for safety reasons as well as sanity reasons.  Your friends are your number one allies if this guy messes with you the wrong way.  This may not seem like something you can bring with you, but if you and your friend have a code you can shoot a quick text message with (in case he likes to hover over your shoulder) and get out of this disastrous date, then you are golden and your boring night just turned into a gossip session.

*Author Hints* Mine is always: “So how was your day?  Did your boss apologize?”  Giving her room to draw my attention away with something crazy that happened to her at work, and make him feel like it’s not “him, it’s me.”

3) A Bag

This does not necessarily have to be a purse, but that’s the general idea.  Just something you can store essential items in: i.e. phone, ponytail holder, sweater etc.  It’s hard to carry everything in pockets, and not the most attractive when it bulks out from behind or the front of jeans.  It just makes life a little easier when you don’t have to deal with all of your necessities in such a small area of space.

4) Sandals/Shoes That Can Get Dirty

Do not laugh!  If you truly don’t know where you are going on your first date, this may seem like a “what?” moment, but remember: boys and girls do not think alike.  If you met this guy at a barn, he might not be thinking of hitting a swanky restaurant.  It’s better to be prepared for anything, even if it’s just star gazing from the back of his pickup in comfortable clothes and shoes that aren’t going to get ruined.

5) Money

A man who doesn’t expect to pay for whatever is going on should be very rare, but even the most wonderful of gentlemen can be stingy.  Always have it just in case this Prince Charming is really a ducking-the-check fraud.  Also, if you’re like me, you might not always like the man paying for everything on a date. If he gets the movie tickets, I’ll grab the popcorn.  This shows that not only can you handle yourself monetarily, but he also can relax and not worry so much about breaking his bank.

Remember: Each guy is different and so are you.  Make your own essential checklist and see if maybe these items need to be added on for that potential Prince Charming.

Photo Thumbnail

Kaitlyn

Clemson

Hey Guys! So, my name is Kaitlyn and I am a double major in English and Psychology at Clemson University. I endeavor to write articles that truly relate to women, not only on the Clemson campus, but all over. My main goal is for my readers to get a little smile and a little knowledge about things that might happen to them, that has happened to them, or (hopefully) things that can be avoided with a little faith, trust, and pixie dust!