This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

FebrYOUary

February. It’s the second month of the year and one that is devoted to love. 

January was all about new resolutions and fresh starts. Whether it was to eat 

healthier, to spend more time with family, or to pick up a new hobby, the first month 

of the year is devoted to bettering yourself. While this a great thing, it often makes 

us analyze our shortcomings and failures especially if we don’t lose those 5 pounds 

the first week of the New Year. Depending on how you view resolutions, it can be 

either a positive or negative contribution to your self-esteem. However, it’s a new 

month and one that is filled with L.O.V.E. 

I’m not talking about romantic movies, boxes of chocolate, and big stuffed bears. 

I’m not referring to your significant other who completes you (If this is the case 

though, good for you! Celebrate this month of love together.) I’m not singling out the 

14th of February filled with red, pink, and purple hearts. 

No, instead I’m talking about the entire month of February and about celebrating 

the love you have for yourself. Often times, we underestimate ourselves and become 

our own worst critics. We find faults, weaknesses, and imperfections that make us 

question, doubt, and discourage ourselves. It’s extremely frustrating because in the 

franticness of life we often forget to love ourselves. We let others define us and tear 

us down. We start to live to please others. 

However, in this month of love I think we should focus on getting to know 

ourselves and learning to love who we are. Make this month about yourself because 

oftentimes it is hard to love someone else, if you don’t first love yourself. 

I’m sorry to sound cliché, but no one has the same talents as you do. Sometimes, we 

hide parts of ourselves in fear that we will be accused of bragging or being full of 

ourselves. That is just wrong! We are all amazing people, and we deserve a chance 

to celebrate ourselves and to celebrate what we can do. Human beings are 

incredible, and we can do so much. So, this February focus on activities that you 

enjoy and in which you succeed. Celebrate yourself!

Those heart-shaped candies and fluffy teddy bears do not need to be restricted to 

cutesy couples. There is no shame in buying a little something for ourselves every 

once and awhile. If you would enjoy a manicure or pedicure, treat yourself to one or 

both! Do something this month for yourself just for the heck of it. Pamper yourself in 

celebration of everything that you have accomplished in life thus far. 

Whether its other people in your life or your own worst thoughts, focus this 

month on removing any and all negativity from your life. Negativity can be one of 

the most draining things out there. You deserve to so much better. It’s hard to focus 

on all the good things life has to offer when you are surrounding yourself with 

negativity. Once you remove these things, you’ll make room for better opportunities 

and adventures that will shape you into your best self. 

Sometimes you need to put yourself first and be a little selfish. Focus some energy 

into “you time.” Read a book you’ve been meaning to, rewatch your favorite movie, 

go take a workout class, or spend a day shopping. Get to know yourself, and the best 

way to do so it spending some quality time alone. With all the distractions in life 

(and amongst all the college work), it can be easy to lose sight of yourself. College is 

a time though to focus on yourself and to spend time learning about yourself. It’s the 

best time to do so, and you will get so much more out of college if you focus your 

energy on things you can learn outside the classroom. 

I hope you use February as a time to focus on yourself and to love who you are. It’s a 

daily challenge but one that deserves your time and attention.
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!