Eli Ker: Associate Director for Clemson Panhellenic Arrested

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

If you haven’t already heard, former Associate Director for fraternity and sorority life at Clemson University, Eli Albert Ker, was arrested on September 14th, 2012 for embezzling $33,820.44 from Panhellenic funds. The investigation, led by SLED and Clemson University, began last month after a university employee noticed aberrations in a bank statement. The employee immediately contacted the Clemson University Police Department, who, in turn, notified SLED. Ker was then arrested for charges of “breach of trust with fraudulent intent, value $10,000 or more” (according to The Tiger News).

Ker began his career as Associate Director for Panhellenic during January of 2006, and was released of his duties on September 10, 2012. He was the only person to have access to the statements and account. The Director for Student Activities presented a July 2012 bank statement to CUPD that resulted in equivocal purchases. Ker had been transferring the Panhellenic funds to another account for his own personal uses. The personal bank account was held at TD bank, outside of the university. These funds were found to have been transferred between August 29th, 2011 and August 29th, 2012.

The university is in the process of reviewing and reconsidering their rules and regulations for the bank accounts and statements. This is to ensure that situations like this one do not repeat themselves. The university ensures that Greek life will not be affected in any way by this misfortune, and will be able to continue without any budget cuts.

Ker admitted to his actions and will no longer be a part of the Clemson community. He appeared in Clemson University Municipal Court on Friday, September 14th, and was released on a personal recognizance bond of $10,000. The investigation is currently still ongoing with SLED to make sure that are no other irregularities.

Source: The Tiger News

Paige is a senior at Clemson University majoring in communication studies and minoring in business and technical writing. Hailing from Northern Virginia, she is the campus correspondent and founder of Her Campus Clemson, as well as VP of membership programming for her sorority, Alpha Chi Omega, and a contributing writer for The Tiger. She loves writing and photography, and after studying abroad in France this summer, she hopes to someday be a photographer and writer for a travel magazine. She has a strong passion (obsession) for social media, and when she's not tweeting or Facebook stalking, you can find her watching Criminal Minds and Glee, inhaling Chipotle burritos, jamming out to swing music, or shopping for new gameday outfits. GO TIGERS!