clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Do’s and Don’t’s for Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

It’s finally happening. The moment all college loving kids dread has caught up with me: I’m officially a senior. After getting a few months under my belt, I’ve learned a thing or two about how to endure this bittersweet moment in my college history.

DO: Cut back on your responsibilities.

Let’s be honest, senioritis is a very real struggle and it’s even easier to lose motivation when you’re over committed. While it might have worked in the past to be a part of seven clubs, volunteer every weekend and teach Sunday school at church, it’s going to be even harder to maintain when focusing on things like job searching. Realistically, it’s already hard enough to balance your time as a college student, so cut yourself some slack and make yourself the priority in your schedule.

DON’T: Completely flake on everything

It’s easy to take the last tip to the extreme and spend your day in bed watching Netflix. It’s okay to take a break every once and a while, but if you let yourself completely lose motivation, you might lose sight of your goals. You haven’t reached graduation yet and failing your last few classes isn’t going to get you any closer. You can’t hide out from every responsibility just because it’s scary knowing you’re about to move on or because you’re stressed out trying to find a job.

DO: Let yourself be frustrated

As much as you love Clemson, four years of working your butt off can take a toll. When you’re an hour late to class again because of parking, or you’re stuck eating dining hall food, it’s okay to be frustrated. You’re a senior; you have three years of Clemson experience to figure out what you won’t miss about college. It’s basically a rite of passage.

DON’T: Completely waste your last year

Stop and smell the roses every once and a while. You might be ready to get back to real life and leave the college bubble, but you’ll miss it when you’re gone. Be realistic about what’s annoying about student life, but also embrace the things you might miss. Go to that mixer with your sorority or that fundraising event your organization always does. You won’t have the chance next year and you might miss it more than you think.

DO: Partake in Clemson traditions

Jump in the pond, get your class ring and attend every game (that you can, I’m looking at you ticket office). Clemson is one of the best schools in the country and it’s one of the best times of your life. You still have ten months of Clemson life to enjoy, make the most of it. I don’t have a “don’t” for this section because there’s no right way to be a tiger. Just get out there, put on your orange and go All In. You won’t regret it.

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19