Contra Club President Linden Holder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.
Linden Holder is the Clemson Contra Club President, although she is currently on a co-op currently living in Omaha Nebraska at ConAgra Foods. The president while she has been away is Patrick Duda. She is a Senior in Packaging Science and was born and raised in Charleston, SC.She has been a Clemson fan all her life since her parents met here.

1) What is your favorite part about being a part of Clemson Contra Dance?
I enjoy bringing together a group of genuinely kind and energetic people. That is the great thing about dancing, everyone loves it and dancing is an awesome way to socialize and connect with one another. 

2) What is your favorite thing about Clemson?
I love the tight nit community of Clemson. It’s a big school but yet it doesn’t feel big. Everyone has a place to be themselves. 

3) What is Contra Dancing?
When I explain contra dancing to people I say its like a mixture of line dancing, square dancing, and swing dancing. Its an incredible social dance where you are able to dance with almost everyone in the room, girls and boys! It is mostly influenced by Folk music. Here is the more in depth and official explanation. Its not the easiest to explain! : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contra_dance

4) What has been your most memorable event as a part of Clemson Contra Dance?
The first dance I ever put on by myself as President my sophomore year was in early September. It was very hot outside and dancing makes the venue even warmer. We had the air conditioning run and because it was working so hard it was producing major condensation and the dance floor just become a wet mess. Everyone was slipping everywhere and we had to end the dance early. Everyone had a good laugh! 

5) When is Clemson Contra Dance’s next event?
There will be plenty of event’s next semester to come out and learn to dance or show off your skills. You can stay updated here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/23607174382/ 

6) What do you do as Clemson Contra Dance’s president?
The Clemson Contra Club puts on two contra dances a semester with a live band and caller. The dances bring in around 150 people and usually take place at DCF in downtown Clemson. We try to have one charity dance a year where we donate all profits to a charity of he clubs choosing. As President I just try to organize it and make sure the event runs smoothly. 

Photo Credits:
Linden Holder provided
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!