A College Student’s Best Friend: Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

A College Student’s Best Friend

We all have that one friend, the one who sees us during all the ups and downs of 

life. He or she battles our struggles alongside us and does not abandon us in our 

time of need. College is a scary place where we encounter sleepless nights, 

worrisome days, and hectic schedules. It can get overwhelming. We think we can do 

it alone, but we find ourselves lost without the constant companionship of those 

closest to us. Allow me to introduce you to a college student’s best friend: coffee. 

Coffee comes in all shapes and sizes.

Friendship has no parameters. People connect with different people because we 

are all unique. One person may find a lifelong best friend in one person, but another 

person may despise that kind of friend. And that’s okay. 

The same thing goes with coffee. You cannot force your connection with your 

coffee. Your coffeeship (coffeeship=coffee+friendship) should feel natural and like 

fate. After all, you want to spend as much time together as possible! So whether you 

meet your coffee bestie at Starbucks, Java City, Spill the Beans, or even Harcombe, 

stay open to the possibility of meeting your soulmate. It’ll take time and patience, 

but there are so many options out there. 

Caffé Latte? Ice Caramel Macchiato? Straight House Blend? Double Shot Expresso?

Wherever you find your coffeeship, you will know when you find it. It’ll melt away 

all your worries, and you’ll feel warm and loved inside.

Coffee sees you through your stressful nights and tired mornings. 

Your coffee bestie stays with you when you’re in the library until 2 am studying for 

that biology final or when you’re researching a persuasive speech the night before 

its due. Coffee keeps you up and helps you push through the wee hours of the 

morning as you pull that all-nighter. Whether its rests in your favorite mug or the 

to-go travel cup that never leaves your side, it becomes your favorite study buddy as 

a college student. 

After restless nights or a mere three hours of sleep, coffee greets you with a much-

needed pick-me-up. It radiates warmth, and you can’t help but smile at its presence. 

You feel yourself jolt awake a little bit at the site of your coffee bestie. You know you 

wouldn’t function without your coffee at your side. How are you supposed to rush to 

your 8 am without it? 

The answer: You don’t. You make sure you’ve had at least one cup before heading 

to your class, and you make sure to refill multiple times throughout the day.

Coffee doesn’t judge you.

So you forgot to shower last night and you were too tired to this morning? Are 

you wearing sweatpants to your classes for the third day in a row? Have you not 

brushed your hair and is it falling out of that messy bun you swore looked good 

when you left your room this morning?

Coffee doesn’t care. In actuality, it applauds you for even having the energy to go 

to your classes. It helps you feel like you have your life together even for a few 

minutes. I already feel more in control with my coffee in my hand as I arrive to my 

first class. You exchange knowing nods with your fellow classmates as y’all sip your 

respective coffee drinks during lecture.

Your coffee also loves to spend time with you! So if you need to take a break and 

spill your problems three or four or five times a day, your coffee will be there to 

catch your fall. Some people may say you are dependent on each other, but your 

coffeeship is just SO strong!

Coffee changes with you and adapts to your lifestyle. 

Make new friends, but keep the old?

As you grow and mature, you may leave some of your old favorite coffees behind 

as you move into the next step in your life. People and friendships change, so why 

can’t you and your coffeeship change to?

Some mornings you may be in the mood to switch things up, but other times you 

want your dependable and reliable usual coffee in its paper cup. Coffee can be there 

for you and your hectic schedule with exams, papers, and required reading or it can 

greet you on a lazy Sunday morning when you just want to be in each other’s 

presence. 

Coffee gets you.

It understands what makes you tick, and it helps to offer the 

energy move past the struggles of life. It motivates you and keeps you going. It’s so 

nice to have a friend that grows and changes with you while remaining a constant in 

your life. 

So in closing, some people may not understand your coffeeship, but that shouldn’t 

matter to you. Once you form a friendship with coffee, you can be sure it’s one that 

will last a lifetime :)
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!