Being an Exchange Student in Clemson is the WORST

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.
Why Clemson is the worst place to study abroad.

Clemson University is located in the heart of South Carolina, in the southern part of the United States. In some ways, it’s everything you’d imagine when you think of what an American university would be like. In other ways, it’s nothing like it at all. This is why Clemson University is the worst place to study abroad. Trust me. 

-The weather:

It’s the worst. It’s always sunny and warm. Always. Even in December and January. I’m used to dull, rainy weather that makes everyone miserable and not want to leave their homes. Instead, here everyone is going out for runs and skipping to class. SKIPPING. Who skips? If they’re not jogging, they are getting a tan in the fields near the reflection pond (which by the way, doesn’t look amazing at night at all) 

-The constant compliments on my accent:

Seriously guys stop. I know you’re not used to hear proper English being spoken but you can stop complimenting me every time I open my mouth. I don’t love it or anything. It definitely doesn’t make me feel special. 

-The food:

There is too much food. How is there world hunger when Americas are eating portions meant for giants? And it’s not like its even good food. The southern BBQ is nothing special. The vinegar slaw, perfectly baked beans, cool little meteoroid shaped hushpuppies (look it up) and mouth watering pork and assortment of meats. There is one place in Clemson called The Smoking Pig. I definitely haven’t been visiting it much at all and I definitely don’t try to persuade my friends to drive there nearly every week. 

-The “football” season:

Americans are obsessed with their sports, and even more so with their own brand of “Football”. Clemson fans are the worst. They are way too passionate about their sports and have too much school spirit. I don’t even see why, it’s not like they were the number 1 team in the country. Or that they went undefeated and went to the championship game. Wait…they actually did do all of that. But I still don’t see why they’re obsessed. Their tailgating is insane. They wake up really early to drink and pre-game. Then they go near the stadium (which fits over 80,000 people!!!!) and congregate there. They play music, eat lots of food, drink and play games waiting for the game to start. People from all over the country drive up to see them play and everyone goes into the stadium together and you’re surrounded with over 82,000 fans screaming and cheering your school on. Who would want that? 

-Southern Hospitality:

I knew people in the South had a reputation for being friendly but this is too much, everyone smiling all the time and being happy and inviting. Where are all the miserable people? I need my kin members! Sometimes I want to be moody for a whole day, I can’t do that with everyone holding doors open for me and asking me how my day is going. 

-The passion:

Clemson students are just too passionate and dedicated. If it’s not football, they’re all locked up in the library or various other places on campus studying. Or doing research or helping other people. At this rate they’ll all graduate with high GPAs and a great memory of their time at Clemson, who needs that? Not this gal. 

-The people:

You definitely won’t meet many interesting people here from different countries and places in America, instead they all have the same old story to tell you of where they’re from. Most of my friends aren’t from anywhere like Brazil, Australia, France or Canada. That would be too interesting. This is what you’ll hate the most. The amazing people you have to meet and the goodbyes that will eventually come . 

-The opportunities:

If you come to Clemson there many opportunities for you to get involved. In fact, it’s too much. Why would I want to do undergraduate research on biofuels or join the renowned debate club? And too many famous people come to Clemson. It’s not like the Vice President ever came here to speak. Seriously, he did and it was amazing. Across America, Clemson fans and alumni provide huge networking opportunities. Wherever you go travelling, you see people wearing orange or showing the paw print. Including in random bars in New York City (which always make for great conversation by the way). Why would I want to be connected with people after I leave? I just want to get my degree. 

So if you’re looking for somewhere dull with a great deal of miserable students, Clemson University really isn’t your place to study, instead you’ll find happy, passionate if not slightly stressed students here that care a great deal for what it means to be a student at Clemson. I figured the best way to explain it was to be as sarcastic as possible, something that the British excel in.
I'm a British student spending a year in the South, I major in Political Science and addicted to watching Parks and Rec.
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!