Apply to be a Clemson Tour Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Waking up early, throwing an orange polo on, and getting the opportunity to show prospective students our beautiful university, has been the biggest blessing in my life.

Sure it may be nerdy to have a ton of school spirit, however being a college tour guide is way more than just loving your school. It’s an opportunity to network with the most elite students, staff, and donors apart of a university. Every individual who works within a college visitor’s center, has so much passion towards the college experience within academics, social life, and athletics, working throughout a visitor’s center has taught me more than I could of ever thought about. Showing off your school to strangers leads to more than you may think.

First things first, becoming a college tour guide gives you an automatic friend group. Getting involved is extremely important because college is what you make it. Having a group of kids that love school as much as you do is so much fun. Interacting with these students about academics and life is a great way to learn about random facts or information. The corny jokes between all the tour guides keeps long days a little livelier. Plus, the group chat messages will put a smile on your face.

Second, the importance of choosing a college is critical for incoming tour groups and prospective students. Knowing you can affect a kid’s decision on coming to your school is the best feeling in the world. Bragging about the dining halls, football games, and resident halls seems generic, however the personable aspect of everything on campus sells a university to students. Describing your love for your favorite table in the library, and how you should of gone to the gym more freshman year, are the facts tour groups want to hear. Sure the numbers are important, class size average and tuition, however expressing your true passion towards the college experience and your campus is how kids will remember a university. Impacting this important decision in a positive manner is what makes every tour worth it.

Lastly, being a college tour guide creates amazing life skills. People skills, presenting skills, professional work skills, etc. are all learned through training and experience. The skills needed in many professions aren’t exactly taught throughout institutions and people learn them the hard way. However, being a tour guide leads to these skills and successes in life. Getting in front of a 20 adults and high school students for almost two hours leads to the skill of getting in front of an entire auditorium and presenting a new invention.

If you love Clemson and your blood runs orange, I suggest applying to be a tour guide! We’re a fun filled, silly group of passionate students that want you to apply and help us brag about our beautiful school!

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19