America, you’re doing chocolate all wrong.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

As I write this, I’m consuming a packet of cadbury’s mini eggs (it’s a Tuesday night and I need the energy). I’m trying to close my eyes and pretend that what I’m eating is real cadbury’s chocolate and not a bitter, ‘made in a Hershey’s factory’ chocolate bar. I’m sorry America, I love you for your fascinating history and hospitality but your chocolate is where our relationship turns sour. I can’t count the times that I’ve got excited after finding Cadbury’s caramel chocolate or fruit and nut or creme eggs or mini eggs in the supermarket only to be disappointed as I found out that it had been made in a Hershey’s factory.

As far as Hershey’s goes I can stand ‘Cookies and Creme’ but that is where I draw the line, for chocolate is supposed to taste smooth and leave you wanting more. Instead, all I can taste is a bitter sort of chocolate that leaves a waxy taste in my mouth. I have been one to complain about this issue a lot (being British and all) but I must point out that I am not alone in my complaints. A petition was started in early 2015 to boycott Hershey’s that currently holds a license to produce Cadbury chocolate in the US. Many believe that if a product is going to brandish the Cadbury’s logo, it should actually be the product that is made properly in the real factory in Birmingham. It should be the Cadbury that was founded by John Cadbury who wished to share his great taste of chocolate with the world.

I understand that both Hershey’s and Cadbury’s are in no way high branded chocolate companies and have their own way of doing things. So by all means, Hershey’s should continue producing in the US and providing for those who do, despite it’s strange taste, still enjoy it. But for those who long for the real taste of Cadbury’s, America please do us a favor and start importing the real deal. Also Hershey’s stop producing Cadbury’s branded products, because if we’re going to be frank about this, you’re doing a really bad job of it.

Please don’t deny America of the true taste of Cadbury’s but above that, maybe do it for my family who have to send me packages of chocolate and my friends who have to deal with my constant complaints. Oh and for me who is slowly forgetting what decent chocolate tastes like.

I'm a British student spending a year in the South, I major in Political Science and addicted to watching Parks and Rec.
Hey! My name's Liz and I'm a Sigma Kappa at Clemson University! I love my school more than anything in the world and love sharing that with y'all!!