Allie Madeline: Working for a CURE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Hometown: Greenville, SC

Major/Minor: Genetics

Year: Sophomore

Other Organization Involvement: Chi Omega Fraternity, UNICEF, Genetics Club, Calhoun Honors College

Favorite Clemson Tradition: Ringing of the bells in Tillman

What is CURE Clemson?

CURE Clemson is a branch under CURE International that supports hospitals around the world. There are currently 29 different CURE hospitals in countries such as Uganda, Afghanistan, and Kenya. Here at Clemson, we fundraise to support surgeries to repair bones and to fix curable diseases such as clubfoot and cleft pallets. CURE offers trips to go to these hospitals and actually go into the operation rooms, and participants can gain medical knowledge. Another special aspect of CURE is their focus on both the spiritual healing in addition to the physical healing of the body. It’s a faith-based ministry as well. In these countries, if you are born with a one of these conditions, you are thought of as curse. CURE works to change this stigma by teaching the children about God and the love that surrounds them. 

Where do the funds go that are raised by CURE?

The funds we raise go specifically to the CURE hospital in the Philippines.

What drew you to CURE?

Initially, I was drawn to CURE because I’m pre-med. The direct involvement with the hospitals through the donations and trips interested me. Now, I’m find myself also drawn to the stories from the kids. I’ve heard about kids who can walk for the very first time after their successful surgeries. It’s a very real result that comes from CURE’s efforts. Local surgeons perform the operations, and the effect is lasting and sustainable.

How did you first get involved in CURE?

I first got involved in CURE by going to an interest meeting in the fall of my freshmen, and I joined a small group. This year, I became the Executive Director.

What is your favorite part about running this organization as the Executive Director?

With my position, I’m able to connect to other CURE chapters across the country. I went to a symposium in Pennsylvania over the summer that allowed me to meet a lot of people involved with this national organization. I loved hearing how CURE is working and thriving in other universities. It’s a special thing to be involved in something you love, and I love that I’m able to be a part of it.

What trips have you been on with CURE?

I’m very excited because I’ll be going on my first trip with CURE this November over Thanksgiving. I will be going to a hospital in the Dominican Republic.

Where do you hope to take this organization on Clemson’s campus?

I want to expand this organization and to make it better known on campus as we are only in our fourth year on campus. I feel that the more Clemson supports CURE, the more CURE can support kids.

How do you see yourself involved with this type of work in the future?

I want to further my education in medicine when I graduate from Clemson. If I become a doctor or surgeon, I would love to use my skills in a CURE hospital even if I don’t have the opportunity to do so on a regular basis. I know a surgeon who goes to Kenya every other year to work in hospitals there, and I would love to do something like that.

What is the up-coming event on Friday?

This Friday, CURE Clemson is hosting its big event of the semester. Normally, we fundraise through bake sales, but this time we are having a shag! CURE has partnered with BYX, and I’m very excited for this event. The Clemson Fall Flannel Shag is on Friday, October 21 at 7 PM at the Biggerstaff Retreat Center. It’s about 15 minutes off campus, and if you fill out this form, we are coordinating a rideshare to the event.

Who is invited and how do I buy tickets?

Anyone can come to the shag, and we want a lot of participation. You can RSVP to the event and buy your ticket here. The money raised will go to a CURE hospital in the Philippines.

What other events are coming up this semester for CURE?

We are hosting a tailgate for the Clemson vs. Pittsburgh football game. It’ll be a drop-in event with lots of food and a silent auction. The silent auction will fundraise for CURE, and it’ll include a signed football by the players and a photography voucher among other prizes.

How do I get involved in CURE?

To get involved in CURE, you can contact me directly (cureatclemson@gmail.com). We are also on TigerQuest. Plus, you can always speak to any member at our meetings or events. They would love to help you get more involved!

Follow CURE!

Facebook: CURE Clemson

Instagram: @cureclemson

Webpage: https://cureclemson.wordpress.com

Follow Allie on social media!

Instagram: @alliemadeline

Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cure-fall-flannel-tickets-28375122756?aff=ehomecard

Rideshare: https://goo.gl/forms/x6wjt1FPlRY4WtxC3

Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19