This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

It’s now almost February and things are changing here at Clemson. Gone are the glorious days of snow-related canceled classes and here are the days of mounting expectations, homework, and exams. Caffeine intake is spiking, and while we could muddle through this semester and wait for the temperatures to rise, we can rise above it and thrive.  

1. Actually Sleep

Yes, this is a no-brainer but yes, you also need a reminder! College students are notorious for neglecting sleep and who can blame them? There just aren’t enough hours in the day and caffeine is readily available on Clemson’s campus. However, coffee and energy drinks will never match the benefits of sleeping. Sleep is vital for brain function, mood, health, etc. If you have insomnia like me, this can be a real challenge, but it’s worth it.

2. Go Back to Your Syllabus

Syllabus week was interrupted by the snow cancellations and that makes your syllabus that much more important. If you aren’t sure how the dates have been affected by the cancellations, email your professor or ask them after class. You’ll be thankful you did when your first big assignment comes up.

3. Use a Planner

The simplest tips are usually the best and this is no exception. A planner can make your life a million times easier and there are so many options to chose from. You can use a physical planner, Google Calendar, a spreadsheet, etc. Find what works for you and stick to it! You’ll see the results almost immediately.

4. Balance Your Time

Sometimes it feels like you have to sacrifice one thing for another and this leads you down a path of constant stress and excess work. Instead of putting off reading to finish an essay or neglecting obligations to finish an essay, budget your time. This may mean starting earlier than usual or just rearranging your day. Look at your schedule and decide what works best.

5. Make Connections in Your Classes

When you have a last-minute question and would rather ask your classmates than your professor, it’s always great to have connections to fall back on. Talk to your classmates, even if it’s just small talk. If you really want to put in the extra effort, try making a GroupMe!

Mayme Medlock is a junior at Clemson University, studying political science with an emphasis in international relations. In her free time, you'll find her chasing cute dogs, talking about studying abroad in the Balkans, watching copious amounts of Netflix, and putting people at ease when they question her name's pronunciation (May-m, not May-me).
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19