10 Things I’ve Learned During My First Year in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clemson chapter.

Somehow, I have survived my first year of college relatively intact, aside from perhaps my emotional stability (thank you, GPA). Now, as a new semester begins, I can think back on all the things I learned – usually the hard way – during my first year in college, things that only experience could have taught me.

1. I honestly have no idea how I survived high school.

I mean, I definitely had more classes, which implies more homework, right? And I know that I’m not doing nearly as many extracurriculars. Yet, I don’t think I was nearly as stressed during high school as I have been in college! When my sister, who is a sophomore in high school, tells me about the homework she has due the next day, my schedule often pales in comparison. Props to high school students, I guess…

2. Food can get really expensive.

Okay, it probably wouldn’t be that expensive if I didn’t like eating quite so much, but even then, it can end up costing a lot. Sure, we have dining hall plans, but eating there, day in and day out, gets real old, real fast.

3. Actually, everything is really expensive.

Yeah, I definitely understand why so many college students have no money because EVERYTHING from gas to food to toiletries and more costs a lot more than you thought it did when your parents were paying for everything.

4. Especially tuition…

If colleges want us to stay and take classes in the hopes of eventually graduating with a degree, why in the world is everything that we need, like TEXTBOOKS, so damn expensive?

5. But sleep is the most priceless out of them all.

That is because it becomes a luxury. Usually for me, it’s because I leave things for the last minute, suffer and promise I won’t do it again, then repeat until the semester is over. Or it’s because I listen to my friends instead of common sense and hang out late at night in the library when I could be in bed. Either way, there just don’t seem to be enough hours in the day anymore.

6. Parking is an actual nightmare.

If you have a car on Clemson’s campus, then I don’t even have to say anything. Four words: one semester, two tickets. Thanks, Parking Services.

7. Late-night cramming is a bad idea.

If we’re totally honest, late-night anything is generally a bad idea, but especially studying. You wake up tired, don’t remember all the information, and have to take an exam. It’s a recipe for disaster, and not one I want to try again any time soon.

8. Partly because you get hungry. Quickly.

And for whatever reason, there aren’t a lot of late-night options at Clemson, especially considering how many students there are who probably want food while studying and questioning recent life decisions (like major choice) in the library.

9. And going to class is extremely important, despite what everyone else says.

Don’t listen to the seniors who say that not going to class is okay. It’s not. It never will be. Maybe it’s alright for some classes where the teacher doesn’t want to be there almost as much as you don’t. But it will catch up with you eventually in the form of grades and GPA. It’s not worth it.

10. I loved every single minute.

I'm an Honors Biological Sciences major here at Clemson University. I love science, theater, poetry, and music and am incredibly passionate about world events, especially what's going on in the Middle East. I love meeting new people, trying new things (especially food), and sharing new experiences with the people I love!
Caitlin Barkley is currently a senior at Clemson University pursuing a degree in both Biology and Psychology. In 2016-2017, she served as the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Clemson after joining her freshman year. She is also an ambassador with the Calhoun Honors College, a teacher with Clemson Dancers, and a member of Tiger Strut Dance Company. Caitlin is a colonizing member of the South Carolina Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi, and she serves as the current Chapter President. A few of her favorite things include coffee, her Clemson ring, and fuzzy blankets! Follow her on Instagram @c_barkley19