Culture > News

You Won’t Want To Miss This: Super Blue Blood Moon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

While we know all collegiate need their sleep, maybe tonight you’ll consider waking up early. There’s going to be a rare super blue blood moon, and you won’t want to miss it.

Separately, the three phenomena are not unusual, but together is a different story. This event is the first time the trifecta can be seen on Earth in 35 years. On top of that, it’s the first time in 150 years it can be observed in the Americas.

What do you get when you have a supermoon, which also happens to be the 2nd full Moon of the month, passing through Earth’s shadow during a total lunar eclipse? A Super Blue Blood Moon! Catch this lunar trifecta coming our way on Jan. 31: https://t.co/v5TLJfyx7j pic.twitter.com/UIldc8B0HK

— NASA (@NASA) January 30, 2018

Here’s the break down of what this really means:

Supermoon

A supermoon is a rare occurrence, even as infrequent as once a year. It’s when the moon appears larger and brighter because it is on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun and at its closest point to the planet, according to National Geographic.

Blue Moon

A blue moon is a pretty popular phenomenon. It occurs when there are two full moons in one calendar month.

Blood Moon

Blood moon simply mean a total lunar eclipse. When the eclipse hits its peak, the reddish tone around the moon gives it the common name.

The super blue blood moon will be best viewed by people on the northern part of North America’s West Coast. Observers in China, Japan, and most of Australia will also get an amazing view. However, a partial eclipse can be viewed throughout most of the rest of the world. Check out the map here to see when it’s prime-viewing for your location.

NASA has even suggested the best ways to photograph this phenomena:

Shoot the Moon: 4 tips for photographing tomorrow’s full moonhttps://t.co/dkX8Krz92I pic.twitter.com/CCJcTpU23P

— NASA Solar System (@NASASolarSystem) January 30, 2018

If you can’t make it outside, NASA will be streaming the super blue blood moon live.

Header Image: NASA/Bill Dunford

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.