Women’s History Month at Clark

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

March is Women’s History Month, and Clark University is celebrating. According to an email from the Dean of Students Office, the theme for this year is “civic engagement.”

Here are all the events you need to know about:

Screening of Iron Jawed Angels

When: March 14 2-4:30 p.m.

Where: Dana Commons

Who: Moderated by Professor Amy Richter and Anna Noden ’18

What: This 2004 movie talks about young activists who put their lives at risk to help get American women the right to vote. Directed by Katja von Garnier, “Iron Jawed Angels” portrays the fight women faced to vote and run for office and what they had to sacrifice to win it.

Student Panel: Women’s March 2017

When: March 15 12-1 p.m.

Where: Fireside Lounge in Dana Commons

Who: Ruth Fuller, Kathryn Madaloni, Elena Novak, and Magaly Preciado

What: Students recount their experiences in participating in the Women’s March on January 21, 2017.

Women at Clark: 75 Years!

When: March 21 2-4 p.m.

Where: Tilton Hall

Who: Clark Archivist, Fordyce Williams, alumna Elyse Darefsky and Pat Brissett, and Clark Researchers

What: Women were admitted into Clark starting in 1942. This year marks the 75th anniversary of their admission. The talk is to include material on what research went into making the decision to accept women, what their time was like, and how women have changed Clark throughout their 75 years here.

“Women Also Know Stuff”: Amplifying Women’s Voices

When: March 26 2-3 p.m.

Where: Lurie Conference Room

Who: Professor Patricia Stapleton

What: Professor Stapleton, a Women Also Know Stuff (WAKS) Editorial Board Member, is set to discuss the “origins and goals of the [WAKS] initiative, as well as the larger context of underrepresentation of women’s voices in the academy,” according to the handout.

Sexual Harassment and #ClarkToo

When: April 26 12-1:15 p.m.

Where: Dana Commons

Who: Professor Cynthia Enloe

What: While #MeToo gained popularity this past year, Tarana Burke actually created the movement in 2006. Professor Enloe will “describe Clark’s student and faculty activism in the early 1980s that made Clark’s sexual harassment case a national groundbreaker,” according to the handout.

All events are free and open to the public.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.