Wellness > Health

What to Know About the Crazy Flu Going Around

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

This year’s flu season has been one of the most widespread on record. The sickness has been the cause of many recent deaths, especially in young children and elderly adults. In order to stay healthy and safe during this crazy epidemic, here are some tips and facts we have gathered.

• Flu symptoms can vary from person to person, but it general they include: a fever or chills, cough, sore throat, runny nose, and fatigue
  • Although flu vaccines aren’t perfectly effective, the CDC and clinicians recommend that everyone over the age of 6 months get a yearly flu shot 
  • Peak flu season falls between December and February, but can sometimes last up until May
  • Washing your hands frequently can reduce the amount of bacteria that spreads 
  • Isolating toothbrushes is especially important for college students who share a space with roommates. We recommend using a Steripod, which is a little plastic cover that protects your toothbrush and keeps it fresh
  • Changing your sheets, cleaning your humidifier, and other household/bedroom appliances
  • Maintaining a healthy lifestyle will help you keep your immune system in top condition: make sure to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, stay hydrated, get the recommended 8 hours of sleep per night
  • Stress levels can also affect the efficiency of your immune system, so if you’re overly worried about catching this year’s flu, take a deep breath and relax. The more you think about it, the more you will trigger a stress response from your body and less how effectively you can fight off bacteria. 

Stay healthy and safe everyone!

Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!