An Update on the New York City Terrorist Attack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

On what was meant to be a fun, traditional American celebration, New York City was struck by a cowardly act of terror.

Driving a rented Home Depot truck, the suspect plowed down a busy Lower Manhattan street on Tuesday afternoon, killing 8 people and injuring nearly a dozen others. The truck sped down the bike lane of West Street along the Hudson River, before striking a school bus near Stuyvesant High School.

According to video evidence, after colliding with the vehicle, the suspect jumped out of the vehicle screaming “Allahu akbar”, Arabic for “God is great”. A pellet gun and a paintball gun were found on the assailant at the time of his arrest. The suspect was shot at the time of his arrest, and is in stable condition according to government officials.

Suspect Sayfullo Saipov, 29, an Uzbek immigrant, is allegedly connected to the Islamic State. A resident of New Jersey, Saipov moved to the United States from Uzbekistan sixed years ago, and has lived in other states including Ohio and Florida.

This attack is being assimilated to others that we have recently seen in the world, particularly in Europe. Saipov appears to have been inspired by these terrifying similar vehicle attacks in which supporters of the Islamic State have used cars and trucks as weapons in attempts to strike unsuspecting civilians.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio stated at news conference “New Yorkers are strong, New Yorkers are resilient, and our spirit will never be moved by an act of violence, an act meant to intimidate us”. President Trump has commented on the act as well, tweeting “my thoughts, condolences and prayers to the victims and families of the New York City terrorist attack. God and your country are with you”.

Officials are still investigating Saipov’s connection the Islamic State.

Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!