This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Rock and Rock Hall of Fame Inductee Tom Petty, 66, died of cardiac arrest Monday.

Petty’s death was somewhat met with confusion. CBS News reported it early Monday afternoon. But this was later retracted as the Los Angeles Police Department tweeted, “The LAPD has no information about the passing of singer Tom Petty.”

Petty’s manager confirmed his death at about 11:30 p.m. Monday night. He died at 8:40 p.m. in his house in Malibu.

Petty is best known as the lead singer of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. The band was formed in 1976 and had 19 songs in the Billboard Hot 100. They finished their 40th anniversary tour September 25, a week before Petty’s death.

The classic rock singer and songwriter also had a solo career. He released three solo albums.

To honor Petty, here are five of his songs you should know.

1. “Free Fallin’”

“Free Fallin” in the opening track to Petty’s breakout solo album. It made its way up to No. 7 on the Billboard Hot 100, and since there have been numerous cover versions. The popular, soft rock song has a very memorable solo guitar intro. I’d definitely say it’s Petty’s best-known song.

2. “American Girl”

This Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers song is a very upbeat song from the beginning, with a great melodic guitar line. It’s the kind of song perfect for a stereotypical car ride on a winding road during a sunny day with the windows down. Though the lyrics are a tad depressing, the song overall has a happy tone.

3. “I Won’t Back Down”

This is Petty’s first solo single hit. It hit No. 12, starting the album’s multi-platinum status. The song is about standing your ground against oppression, even in the hard times. British singer Sam Smith’s song “Stay With Me,” has been accused of having very close connection to “I Won’t Back Down.”

4. “Runnin’ Down A Dream”

Released in 1989, this is Petty’s second single of his first solo album. This is a harder rock song, with a guitar riff to start off the tune. The guitar also plays a huge role during the chorus section. The down beats coincide precisely with Petty’s voice, creating a harsher, more rock-n-roll sound.

5. “Breakdown”

The rock starts off with simply the drums. Piano and guitar are then added. Lastly Petty’s voice chimes in to make this Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers more of a sleuth-like song. Petty’s vocal range is really showcased throughout “Breakdown,” especially during the chorus. The instrumentation, though, makes this song a total hit.

Rest in peace to music legend Tom Petty.

Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.
Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!