stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Those Tips and Tricks You’ve Already Heard, But Didn’t Listen To The First Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Have you ever felt lost and flummoxed trying to handle the rigor of college course finals?  Great, then you’re just like the rest of us!  Here at Fit University, we strive to maintain active and healthy lifestyles through the challenges and pressures as college students.  It’s not an easy task to do, and we all lean on each other for support.  Some of the main tips and tricks that our community has emphasized to prep for finals and keep stress at bay are:

• Don’t forget the water!

Everyone hears it all the time; we need to drink more water.  But have you actually tried it?  Aside from the constant need to run to the restroom (a small price for a larger payout), drinking water helps you feel awake and alive, stabilizes your mood, keeps you hydrated to withstand hours of studying, and is good for all organ systems of the body.  Like the saying goes, happy inside, happy outside, right?

• Sleep is 100% more important than that last hour of cramming.

Remember all those statistics you learned in grade school that tell you sleeping for less than 8 hours a day is detrimental to your health?  Well, that’s kind of true.  Sleeping allows your brain to rest and your body to replenish.  You actually have some of the worst brain function and memory skills when you’re tired.  So maybe a full 8 hours isn’t going to happen every night, but skipping that last hour of studying to sleep is probably going to do you better in the long run.

• Taking mini breaks is vital to not burning out too quickly!

We wouldn’t be a fitness club without advocating for some form of exercise.  It’s important to distinguish between exercising to exercise and exercising for health.  We’re not suggesting you go run a half marathon because you think the “exercise” will be beneficial.  What’s really helpful is finding some form of movement throughout the day for your body and your mind to heal.  Taking a walk around the library, doing a handstand, walking up and down the stairs, going outside, etc., are all forms of exercise that don’t require you to do much preparation, but will reap all the benefits.  Taking small breaks after you finish a chapter or write a page will help keep your blood flowing, your mind engaged, and you may even accomplish more!

• Group studying is actually pretty fun.

If you get bored studying alone, groups are for you.  Yes, we’re a fitness club and thrive on community, but seriously teamwork makes the dream work.  You can bounce ideas off one another, keep each other motivated, keep each other laughing, and even quiz each other.  It’s a great way to change up your old studying habit and try something new!

Fit CU is Fit University's chapter at Clark University. We host free weekly workouts & other health/fitness events. Join our community!
Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!