Things You Miss About Halloween as an Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

1. Trick or Treating – this is easily the hardest thing to give up as an adult. It’s FREE CANDY for goodness sake! 

2. Halloween Costume Shopping – ahh the days when our parents used to pay for our Halloween costumes.

3. Pumpkin Carving – despite the mess, this is hands down one of the best Halloween activities that doesn’t happen once you get to college. 

4. Decorating the House for Halloween – it was always so fun to pull out the decorations and hang them up with your family.

5. Class Parties – whenever Halloween came around, you knew a class party was coming up. Everyone would send in baked goods and you would get to wear your costume…too bad college professors don’t believe in class parties.

6. Costume Parades – it was actually so fun to march around your school or through town with all of your friends dressed up in your Halloween best. This would just be downright weird as an adult, but as a kid it was the best. 

7. Having Candy in your Lunchbox – opening your lunchbox to find that fun sized piece of candy for the week or two after Halloween was just the best. Plus, you never felt guilty eating candy as a kid because you had no sense of what calories were or why you would eventually have to count them.

8. Hiding Your Candy Around the House – with brothers and sisters (and even parents) around, no piece of candy was safe. There was a certain excitement to finding the perfect hiding spot for your candy and keeping it in a secret stash.

9. Carrying Around the Plastic Pumpkin Buckets – true, they didn’t hold much candy looking back on it, but it was so fun to carry around the pumpkin buckets when you were trick or treating.

10. Wearing Halloween Costumes that were Actually Warm – we hated wearing our long johns underneath our princess dresses back then, but now we wish we had them walking from party to party in October weather.