brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Student Spotlight: Sam Mescon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Since the moment I stepped foot on the Clark campus, I knew I was going to encounter incredible and talented people from amazing dancers to talented artists. In my entrepreneurship class, I had the opportunity to meet Sam Mescon, a young talented individual who loves taking pictures and exploring different places.

This past Friday, I had the privilege to interview Sam. Throughout this interview, I was able to learn more about his experience as a photographer, his purpose, and contributions to Clark.

Photo credits: Rain Drooker

Tell me a little bit about yourself?

My name is Sam Mescon and I am 19 years old. I am a new student at Clark University who will most likely major in management and with a double minor in marketing and entrepreneurship. I describe myself as an internally driven person and someone who is very thirsty for success. I also considered myself as an independent individual. I am a student-athlete and I love doing outdoor activities such as hiking and backpacking. In addition, I love to focus on landscape photography and portraits.

Why photography?

Since I was little I have always been fascinated by cameras. I started playing around with them in middle school and this interest continues towards high school. Although throughout high school, I had to borrow a camera from my friend’s dad to continue developing this passion for photography, I never let any circumstance get on my way. After graduating high school, I was able to get a summer job that helped me save for a camera which served as a new beginning filled with adventures. I just love capturing moments and using my creativity to spread happiness.

What was next after high school?

After high school, I decided to take a gap year. Before moving on to college, I knew that I needed to take some time for myself. Throughout this year, I was able to travel around the US and gain experience on landscape photography.

Why Clark University?

The biggest thing for me when it came down to college was attending a school that has a small community and provides me with a well-rounded education. Clark gave me a sense of community and I am happy to be here. 

Biggest struggle professionally?

The biggest issue for me is getting my name out there. Because I am new to Clark, I am trying to build connections as I go. Luckily, in my entrepreneurship course, I have been forced to run a photography business at Clark and slowly things are working out.

What is the biggest lesson that you have learned?

At the end of 10th grade, I suffered a concussion from playing frisbee. Due to this, I spent a year to recover and a little bit more to recover. It was not an easy experience to overcome and it made missed out a lot of things especially throughout my high school career. From this experience, I learned that in life difficult moments will come but what matters is not letting them crush you. I have used every situation to make myself better and learn as much as I can.

Greatest strength?

I believe that overall I am a caring and passionate guy. I know oftentimes people get the impression that I am a shy person but I describe myself as a warm gentle giant.

Weakness?

I have a problem letting things go especially when it relates to work. For instances, sometimes when I am working on a specific project, I feel like I focus too much on the small details. I try to make sure that I do my job properly but sometimes I tend to become a perfectionist.

Who is your biggest inspiration?

My biggest inspiration is definitely my mother. She means the world to me and she has been supporting always. I don’t know where I would be without her.

Who do you look up to at Clark or your community?

At Clark, I have been lucky enough to encounter great people. Professors Stephen DiRado and Frank Armstrong have served as mentors to me and I am so grateful to them. These professors are huge inspirations to me and have always been willing to help me out. They noticed my passion for photography and creation and I look forward to the many years to come. In addition, from back home I also look up to my best friend/fellow artist Rain Drooker. I am glad to have his friendship because as we work towards our dreams together, we also get to serve as examples to each other.

What are you looking forward to at Clark?

I look forward to many things Clark. I hope to continue making the best out of the resources available and making the best out of everything. Also, I look forward to continuing working with the marketing department at Clark and the yearbook.

Anything exciting that you are currently working on?

Currently, I am working with Rachel Carow, Nicolas Lee, Bryon Lewis-Cummings and Soroya Madlala in building a group that focuses on building a community of creators and photographers where they get to share their talents and come together as one. “Photo Society” has not been approved yet as an official club but I am working with a group of passionate individuals to make this a reality and to inspire others. Also currently working with Shirt Shack & Co. on the new upcoming designs.

What piece of advice would you give to your younger self?

I would say to soak in as much as you can. Just be a big sponge and absorb as much as you can. I have been doing photography only for a year and a half almost two, so I still have a lot to learn. I can’t wait to see where life would take me in the upcoming years and grow as much as I can.

Photo credits: Rain Drooker

It was fun getting to know more about Sam. Feel free to reach out to him if you want to shoot or if you have any creative ideas. He is always looking to collaborate with different students around Clark. Below you can find his contact info and check out his website.

Contact Info:

Sam Mescon

Samuelmescon@gmail.com

Website: www.sammescon.com

Hello there! My name is Valerie Diaz and I am a junior at Clark University. I am a curly hair enthusiast and I am a strong believer of being positive about everything in life. I love to explore different places, read books about self development and eat gummy worms.
Alexis is a student at Clark University studying Spanish and Political Science. When she's not at the library you can find her watching Netflix (probably Bones or The Office), on the elliptical, on KJP's instagram, or reading the news. She's passionate about politics, travel, and fashion. Her goals for the future include getting a job after graduation and trying to live the ideal New England lifestyle. Alexis is very excited to be a new Campus Correspondent along with Annabelle Merlin. HCXO!