samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

So You’re Living at the Library… A Finals Week Library Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

Every college student knows that whoever said December is the most wonderful time of the year clearly didn’t take into account Finals Week. And once again, it’s upon us, which means that you’re likely packing your backpack and logging some serious hours in the library. So if your books are weighing you down, take a break and look at this library survival guide to make sure you make the most of your study-sesh.

Make sure to pack the necessities. Caffeine (or dining dollars), headphones, notes and books, planners, chargers, Advil, snacks – anything you could need to keep you going for the next few hours. Because taking a quick trip back to your room turns into taking a short nap on the world’s most comfortable dorm bed, which turns into watching Christmas movies with your roommate… you get the picture.

Find your study spot. Everyone knows that finding the perfect spot in the library during finals week is like finding the eighth wonder of the world. Make sure you consider all aspects of your choice – the floor, the proximity to Jazzman’s, the likelihood that you’re going to be shushed in a whisper-scream if you sneeze. Go in with a game plan, and don’t be afraid to throw some elbows!

Every collegiette loves binge-watching, but binge-studying is a different matter. Studies have shown that studying is more effective when you take occasional breaks. So for every 50 minutes of studying you do, treat yo self, and take a 15-minute break. Watch an episode of Friends on Netflix, scroll through social media, or catch up on funny Vines. Just remember to use the headphones you packed so you’re not that collegiette.

Know when to walk away. Sometimes, getting a good night’s sleep can be more valuable than those last three hours of studying from 4-7 AM when your brain is fried. Try to get at least seven hours of sleep a night to keep the quality of your study session high.  

Finally, when it crosses your mind that you may just die in this library, remind yourself that winter break is so close! In just a few short days you’ll be home, miles away from the library and your friends, and secretly counting the days until you can come back and do it all over again.

Good luck Collegiettes!

Haley is a student at Clark University studying Management with plans to pursue an MBA. On campus you can find Haley working as an assistant in the President's Office, or dancing (like nobody's watching!) with Clark University Dance Society. Beyond campus she loves her cat, her cousins, and chocolate. Her favorite color is pink, and she could watch The Mindy Project for days. Haley is looking forward to being a part of the Her Campus Clark team!
Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!