pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Senior Hannah Fox on Volleyball’s Journey to Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

The Clark women’s volleyball team has had great success in 2016 making it to the NEWMAC Championships and then receiving an at large bid to the NCAA National Tournament, a first for Clark University. To get an inside look at their journey, we spoke with senior Hannah Fox. Hannah is from Dracut, MA and in addition to her role as a middle blocker on the volleyball team, she is also a member of Dance Society at Clark.

(#18 Hannah Fox celebrates success with her teammates)

What is the most challenging and/or most rewarding thing about being a student athlete?

The most challenging thing about being a student athlete is sacrificing things for volleyball. I’ve learned to accept it because I have so much love for the sport, but it is hard to give up other aspects of my college life. I’ve missed countless dance practices, fun nights out and many trips to Chipotle. It’s normal to feel guilty at first, but I always remember that there’s only so much I can control.

The most rewarding thing about being a student athlete is the support and the way it unties people. My family, friends, teammates and the overall student body at Clark are so supportive and it makes me so happy to make them proud.

The volleyball team has had a great season and made it all the way to the NEWMAC Championships for the second year in a row. What has it been like to be a part of this team during your time at Clark and have contributed to its success?

It has been so special being on this team for 4 years. We’ve consistently made it to the playoffs each year, and we have come a long way.  I think it’s due to the group of women we have. We are self disciplined and driven to reach our goals. I’m so lucky to have 17 best friends on the court with me each day.

For the first time in Clark history, the volleyball team is going to the NCAA national tournament. How does it feel to have achieved this?

It feels great to be the first team in the 40-year history of the volleyball program to reach the national tournament. Playing in one of the toughest conferences and regions for volleyball has prepared us to be resilient. It’s a lot of excitement and firsts for everyone involved.

What does the rest of senior year look like for you after volleyball is over?

Senior year is the time when you bond with new classmates that you haven’t been close with in the past. I’ve definitely felt like I’ve gotten close to many seniors this semester and I’m excited for all the festivities in the Spring. I am most excited about senior week and the senior class coming together during the rest of the year. After graduation, I will be at Clark doing the 5th year MBA program and I’m looking forward to cheering on the volleyball team next season! After that, I will hopefully be working in business and traveling the world.

Congratualtions to the Clark women’s volleyball team on their trememndous success this season!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Kelly is a student at Clark University pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Cultural Studies and Communications with a minor in Business Management. When Kelly is not in class, you can find her working in the Education Department at The Hanover Theatre, teaching Zumba classes and dancing her heart out with Clark University's Dance Society. Her favorite color is pink (especially Her Campus pink!) and she loves everything monogrammed. Kelly enjoys spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend, and two adorable cats. Kelly is thrilled to be a new Campus Correspondent alongside one of her best friends, Ciara Kilian. Follow along with her on Instagram and Twitter @kellrour HCXO!
Haley is a student at Clark University studying Management with plans to pursue an MBA. On campus you can find Haley working as an assistant in the President's Office, or dancing (like nobody's watching!) with Clark University Dance Society. Beyond campus she loves her cat, her cousins, and chocolate. Her favorite color is pink, and she could watch The Mindy Project for days. Haley is looking forward to being a part of the Her Campus Clark team!