PEC Kicks off Monthly Concerts with GNäRDS, Halfsour and Minidresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

This past Friday Night, three New England bands graced the stage of the Grind in P.E.C.’s New England Show Case. The Pub Entertainment Committee (P.E.C.) is a student run club that brings in bands each month for a show in the Grind. For their kick off concert P.E.C. brought Worcester band, GNäRDS, and Boston based Halfsour and Mini Dresses (performing in that order). 

GNäRDS has been playing in Worcester since 2013. The trio “plays a big part in the Worcester music scene” according to one of P.E.C.’s three co-presidents Caden Byrne (Clark ’17). They define their music as “rock, grnardcore punk.” The band kicked off the New England Showcase with what Liv Hogan (Clark ’19) called a “classic PEC sound.”

The second band to take the stage, Halfsour, is based in Boston, but previously played in Worcester at a WCUW show – Worcester’s Community Radio – 91.3 FM. The band just announced a new EP which will debut October 14th and several of their tracks were played on Friday. The highlight of the show was a group of Clarkies who decided to dance the cotton-eye-joe during the set. They were “loud and had a good energy” one co-president remarked. 

The final band to play, Minidresses, definitely stole the show. Their smooth sound, which Byrne called “Dream Pop,” was something that the entire crowed enjoyed. Minidresses was the most anticipated band, as it was the most recognized prior to the performance. They exceeded expectations and blew the crowd away with their mellow music. Similar to Halfsour Minidresses just released their EP and played many of their new songs. 

Overall the concert was a wild success and just the first of many P.E.C. shows to come. P.E.C. is a club that prides themselves in booking monthly programming in the grind. They try to book bands with the goal of getting “different demographics in terms of sound and people to make a cool and safe environment” according to one senior co-President of the club. If you’re interested in joining them, show up at their meetings Monday nights at 9:30pm in JC 189 and help brainstorm bands to bring to the Grind and create a cool environment.

P.E.C.’s next concert is Friday, October 21 featuring the popular band Pinegrove.

Jess is a Senior at Clark University who hails from Detroit, Michigan. She spends her time at college studying Psychology and Culture Studies & Communication, and trying to get involved in everything she can on campus! Jess wears a number of hat's around campus such as, President of the Student Activities Board, Co-President of Radio of Clark University, an intern for the Student Leadership and Programming Office, waitress at Annies Clark Brunch, and the Events Director for Clark's chapter of Her Campus! In her spare time Jess enjoys listening to music, reading, exploring Worcester, and spending time with friends!