alice donovan rouse 1TqTPPz3xpg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alice donovan rouse 1TqTPPz3xpg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Culture > News

North and South Korea in Talks For Peace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

At a historic meeting on April 25, South Korean President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un signed a declaration agreeing to work for the “complete denuclearaization of the Korean peninsula.” The agreement seeks to establish “permanent,” “solid” peace, and marked the first time a North Korean leader had ever set foot in the South. A peace treaty has been one of the incentives North Korea has demanded in return for dismantling its nuclear program. The two countries have been at war for more than six decades.

Host Broadcaster via Reuters TV

The statement signed by Kim Jong-Un and Moon Jae-in read, “South and North Korea confirmed the common goal of realizing, through complete denuclearization, a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula”. Days before the summit, Kim said North Korea would suspend nuclear and long-range missile tests and dismantle its only known nuclear test site.

ANSA

The two leaders agreed, through regular meetings and direct telephone conversations, to hold frequent discussions on vital issues, to strengthen mutual trust between the nations, and to jointly endeavor to strengthen the positive momentum towards continuous advancement of inter-Korean relations as well as peace, prosperity and unification of the Korean Peninsula.

To that end, President Moon Jae-in agreed to visit Pyongyang this fall.

AP

Julia is a recent graduate of Clark University who loves reading, writing, and entertainment in any form. You can usually find her obsessing over a new show or movie. She shamelessly loves pop music and pop culture in general and her dog Izzie.
Monica Sager is a freelance writer from Clark University, where she is pursuing a double major in psychology and self-designed journalism with a minor in English. She wants to become an investigative journalist to combat and highlight humanitarian issues. Monica has previously been published in The Pottstown Mercury, The Week UK, Worcester Telegram and Gazette and even The Boston Globe. Read more of Monica’s previous work on her Twitter @MonicaSager3.