burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Milan Fashion Week Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

With Fashion Month and September both nearing an end, I can only ask myself one question: where did the time go? I feel like it was just yesterday that I was starting my first day of the semester, following what models and influencers on social media were doing to prep for this sacred month. As a way to take breaks from my schoolwork I like to watch some of the shows online and catch up on what trends were most prevalent, but with senior year in full swing, I was unfortunately not able to pay as close attention to the runway shows as I would have liked. Instead, here I am 3 weeks into Fashion Month just now reading up on the highlights of New York fashion week. Most fashion lovers recognize Milan as the capital of the fashion world, but its importance can sometimes be forgotten in the modern mix of young, emerging designers. Here is what caught my eye the most from the MFW SS18 shows:

• Model of the moment Kaia Gerber was eye catching on the streets of Milan and the runways alike. Supermodel Cindy Crawford’s daughter is the new it-girl of her generation and is taking the fashion world by storm.

• Gucci brought the 80s back. Using creativity as an “act of resistance”, the label’s designer Alessandro Michele took inspiration from Elton John’s costumes of the past.
  • Sheer clothing is making a comeback thanks to Max Mara. A full on sheer top exposing a lacy bralette is the next big thing, and to transition that into cooler months, opt for layering different pieces of clothing to create a sheer effect.
  • Japonesque style was used as inspiration for Miuccia Prada’s show. We’re already noticing this trend extending into street-wear.
  • Creative Director Jeremy Scott took floral to a whole new level by dressing his Moschino models as bouquets.Florals for Spring? Groundbreaking.
  • 50 is the new 20. Versace brought back some of the 90s most iconic models for its show marking the 20th anniversary of the death of its founder, Gianni Versace. Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer and others strutted down the runway in some of the designer’s most iconic pieces from the early 90s in Mediterranean-inspired prints and baroque styles.

Looking forward to seeing what trends emerge at Paris Fashion Week!

Annabelle is a Senior at Clark University, finishing her undergraduate studies in Business Management, and starting her MBA studies in the 5th year accelerated degree program at Clark. She loves fashion, photography, and writing!