Meet CAVE Task Force Member Jenny Rubin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Clark chapter.

We know you do a LOT around campus! Tell us a few things you’re involved in?

I’m involved in SAB, the Scarlet, Choices, J Street, the CAVE Community Task Force, and I’m an RA in Bullock Hall.

What’s your favorite club/involvement activity? Did you know you wanted to participate in this coming into college?

I think my favorite thing that I’m involved with is the CAVE Task Force. It’s a really small group of 3 undergrad students, and it’s really easy to get initiatives going because we work with the administration. I also love being able to be a part of the Week One process through the Task Force. I knew I wanted to be on a club or in a group that involved feminism and advocacy, but I wasn’t sure what type of group that would be. I like that the Task Force isn’t a club, and therefore that we can actively work to change and improve the programs about consent and sexual violence on campus.

What’s it like being an RA in Bullock?

It’s pretty awesome. I love my amazing residents, and all of the other co-RA’s are super easy to work with. I love that Bullock is so small, because it’s easy to get to know a lot of people. Though, it is a little weird, since a lot of my residents are actually older than me!

How do you balance all that you do around campus?

Great question. I’ll get back to you when I find out the answer.

What’s your favorite way to destress?

I really like hanging out with friends and just talking or watching a movie. It’s weird living in a single, so it’s really nice to be able to see the people I love and spend quality time with them not thinking about the looming amounts of work I have.

Who would you say are some of your role models at Clark?

Tell us about your experience with them at Clark. This is a really loaded question… because I think I have a ton of different role models here. One for sure is Sara Davidow, because she is so kind and open and willing to take on responsibilities, which I think is awesome. Another would have to be Hannah Martin who actually graduated last year, but she was my RA in JSC last year and inspired me to apply for the position. She is always fierce and on point, and really makes me want to follow my passions, which she does so well on her blog. Another would definitely be Kate Summers, who’s one of my best friends, but is so involved and so caring and passionate and really helps me to see the best in people and that’s super valuable and wonderful. I think I’m going to cap it at 3, but there are so many inspiring people in my life that I couldn’t possibly list them all.

Tell us about what you’re looking forward to this semester?

I’m really excited because I recently got a spot on J Street’s E-board which is super cool. J Street is an awesome club/organization that has a chapter at Clark. I love it because it approaches the Israeli Palestinian conflict from a pro-peace standpoint and works to educate and advocate for a two-state solution. J Street’s been a really big part of my life this past semester and I’m super excited for next semester to really get a feel for what it’s like being on an e-board.

What’s something you think people need to know about Israel?

I think people should know that being Jewish doesn’t automatically tie you to one side of this really tangled conflict. I was raised super Jewish and I’ve really struggled, and I’m still struggling about where I stand… it’s really not black or white.

What’s it like coming to Mass from Maryland?

It’s both super weird and not weird at all. I guess the weirdest part for me is figuring out if Maryland counts as the South. Because when I come to Massachusetts, I really do feel Southern. But as soon as I’m home, I start feeling very Northern.

What do you miss about home?

I miss my brothers, and my parents, and my dog. This past summer I kind of figured out why Baltimore’s great, which sucks because I’m probably not going to be spending much time there after this Winter Break. So I guess I miss the cool experiences I had this summer exploring my hometown.

What’s the best adventure you’ve had so far at College?

So my friends and I recreated the #HashbrownHuntdown2k15 last semester. We basically went up and down Park and Main Street and tried like 6 different restaurants’ hashbrowns. It was a very weird time. Maybe not my best adventure, but certainly my most memorable one at the moment.

You’re an IDSC major right? What got you into that?

When I started applying to college I really wanted to major in Gender Studies, but when I first started looking into Clark, I saw the IDSC major and looked into it. I’m not sure exactly how it happened, but I guess I just realized it’s something I’ve always wanted to do, and I think the whole field is super interesting and can take shape in so many different ways. Plus, I’m concentrating in Gender so the dream isn’t lost.

What’s your dream job?

I guess working with women’s education or reproductive rights somewhere in the world. I don’t really think that far ahead.

We’ve heard you have a deeply rooted hatred for Minions, tell us about that.

Here’s the thing about Minions: They are 1) evil, 2) terrifying, 3) unnecessary, 4) a literal metaphor for Corporate America’s hand reaching into the pockets of every single person, taking all their money, and molding it into useless corn kernels that hump fire hydrants. Minions are so ridiculous. I’m getting angry just thinking about Minions.

What’s one thing we should know about you?

My guilty pleasure is re-watching terrible teen TV shows I watched in middle and high school. I’m currently in the middle of re-watching Glee.

10 Question Lightening Round:

Fav Food: Avocado

Last song you listened to: Backseat Freestyle by Kendrick Lamar

Celebrity Crush: The Smith kids

Top of your bucket list: Buy my parents a new house

Favorite App on your phone: Clock

How do you take your coffee: Milky and creamy

Fav Class you’ve had so far: Race and the American Culture (everyone should take a class with Shelly Tenenbaum she is a goddess.)

Favorite Book: Harry Potter

Cats or Dogs: Dogs

Breakfast, lunch or dinner: Breakfast for all of those meals.

Jess is a Senior at Clark University who hails from Detroit, Michigan. She spends her time at college studying Psychology and Culture Studies & Communication, and trying to get involved in everything she can on campus! Jess wears a number of hat's around campus such as, President of the Student Activities Board, Co-President of Radio of Clark University, an intern for the Student Leadership and Programming Office, waitress at Annies Clark Brunch, and the Events Director for Clark's chapter of Her Campus! In her spare time Jess enjoys listening to music, reading, exploring Worcester, and spending time with friends!
Isabelle is a student at Clark University, who has declared as a Cultural Studies and Communications major and a minor in sociology. She is a yoga instructor at Clark, as well as the manager for the Clark Field Hockey team. She has a deep love for sea turtles, the free people Instagram account, and card making. When she isn’t procrastinating school work she can be found on the sidelines of Clark athletics events, or hanging out with friends and family. Isabelle is really excited to be a contributing member of the Her Campus team.